EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   EV Price Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ev-price-discussion-35192.html)

redpoint5 05-25-2017 11:14 AM

EV Price Discussion

2013 Leafs are going for $7,500 on CL.

I have a theory that prices might increase for used EVs in the next 1 or 2 years. As one article pointed out, there was a state that had something like a $5k tax rebate for purchasing an EV. When that incentive went away, EV sales plummeted to almost nothing.

Federal tax incentives phase out at 200k cars sold per manufacturer. I would be surprised if the current administration extends this. As incentives dry up, I expect new EV sales to plummet nationwide.

When new EVs suddenly cost $7,500 more, people will have less incentive to buy. This will also result in less used cars being available. With a diminishing supply of used cars and the increased price for new, this should raise the price of existing EVs.

I think I'll time my used car purchase around the time that GM cars run out of tax credits.

freebeard 05-25-2017 12:23 PM

I didn't post this last night because I thought it was off-topic; but the last two posters have 'opened the door':

Jalopnik: You Can Get A Rear-Engined BMW With A Carbon Fiber Body For Less Than A Honda Civic

$16K, $20K with a 'range extender'.

sendler 05-25-2017 12:31 PM

Car prices are always lowest in the dead of Winter and recover slightly in the Spring.

vskid3 05-25-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 541205)
When new EVs suddenly cost $7,500 more, people will have less incentive to buy.

But will the prices stay the same when the tax credit goes away? I wouldn't be surprised if the current MSRPs weren't at least a little inflated because they know the incentives will make the prices seem more reasonable. We probably won't see a $7500 price drop, but maybe $3k or $4k.

jjackstone 05-25-2017 02:03 PM

Somewhere in the last few weeks I read the reason used Leaf prices are increasing is because they have become really popular in overseas{I think Europe especially). So, many dealers are buying them up here and shipping them off and still making a better profit.
Can't find the source right now but I'lllook for it.

jjackstone 05-25-2017 02:09 PM

Here's one version.
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/04/24...ning-gas-cars/

JJ

redpoint5 05-25-2017 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 541211)

Minor point, but the BMW isn't made of carbon fiber. It's a carbon fiber plastic composite. Not as lightweight and strong as carbon fiber, but also not as expensive.

I'm wondering why the BMW hasn't dropped as severely in price as the Leaf? I can get a '14 Leaf for $9k and a '14 i3 for $16k, which is twice as expensive. The BMW didn't cost twice as much. The BMW should be more like $11k if it were to have the same rate of depreciation.

I've got my eye out for an i3 too, since it's more fun to drive and slightly less less annoying to look at. I'm not willing to pay way more than a Leaf, though.

That reminds me, I need to see what Spark EV prices have been doing...

redpoint5 05-25-2017 06:53 PM

Mods, can we merge post 477 and on into this new thread?

redpoint5 05-25-2017 06:54 PM

EV Price Discussion

2013 Leafs are going for $7,500 on CL.

I have a theory that prices might increase for used EVs in the next 1 or 2 years. As one article pointed out, there was a state that had something like a $5k tax rebate for purchasing an EV. When that incentive went away, EV sales plummeted to almost nothing.

Federal tax incentives phase out at 200k cars sold per manufacturer. I would be surprised if the current administration extends this. As incentives dry up, I expect new EV sales to plummet nationwide.

When new EVs suddenly cost $7,500 more, people will have less incentive to buy. This will also result in less used cars being available. With a diminishing supply of used cars and the increased price for new, this should raise the price of existing EVs.

I think I'll time my used car purchase around the time that GM cars run out of tax credits.

oil pan 4 05-25-2017 10:35 PM

I think when the new supply drys up and gas goes over $3.50 a gallon and everyone gets caught with their pants down driving something that get 15mpg all of a sudden EVs will get expensive again.

But some things that won't change:
The lack of charging stations.
People who rent and can't install a charging station.
The range limit.

They still remain a bit of a toy for us rich land owners who can run a 30 to 50 amp 240v circuit to where they park.
I have already ran a 50 amp welder circuit to the garage for a welder. It could also power a vehicle charger.