Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Lil Sulf - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 47.62 mpg (US)
Toyota Corolla, front wheels skirts

After partial satisfaction with my partial boat tail, I think I'm going to make some front wheels skirts too. I want to use a hinge, drilled directly above the wheel well, and then use some aluminum for the main material. I am definitely worried about rubbing, but I dont have time to get any rollers from that web site that basjoos mentioned in the metrompg front wheel skirts thread . . . Anyway, I'm hoping that I can curve it out just a little so it only rubs against my tires with very sharp turns.

Any advice would greatly appreciated, as I only have a few days before my ecomodding is finished until . . . the winter holidays, and I plan on doing these tomorrow.

And that's without a Scangauge o.O
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Charger - '15 BMW i3
I would recommend waiting until you have the time to get rollers, or build the skirts ready for rollers, then attach them to the car once rollers arrive. I suspect that if you build your skirts far enough out that your wheels don't scrape often, they won't be very effective, and if they do scrape, you're likely to spend more money replacing tires than you'll save in gas.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Lil Sulf - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 47.62 mpg (US)
Yeah, after cutting the aluminum for my drivers side one, and doing some hinge and gorilla tape testing, it didn't work too well. At even 5mph it would sometimes catch the air and fly open and away from the wheel. Of course for the real thing I would have mor than just the hinge, maybe springs or whatever, but I've decided to add front wheel skirts at a later date.

And that's without a Scangauge o.O
Reply  Post New Thread