Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Question How to avoid evaporative emissions at fill up

I have an older car - a '93 Civic DX.
Every time that i open the gas cap, there is a release of pressure and a load of fumes comes shooting out into the atmosphere.
This is raw unfiltered pollution, and I was wondering what can be done to avoid its release - or at least lessen it.
So far, I have found that filling up first thing in the morning when the air is cool and the gas tank has had a chance to cool keeps these fumes to a minimum.
Other than that, what tips could you guys give me ?

Also, what about at fill-up time ?
I try and be as quick to insert the nozzle as i can, but what else can be done ?

I live in Austin, Texas, which has better pollution than the Houston area where my parents live. I notice that the gas spigots ( ? ) in the Houston area have an added boot to catch the evaporative emissions. Here in Austin, the gas spigots are bare. Why can't all cities have these simple rubber boots installed - regardless of whether they are cleaner than the other guy ??

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Smooth Operator

Old Yellar - '79 MGB Tourer Drop-Hood Coupé
Sports Cars
90 day: 25.83 mpg (US)

Old Brown Ford - '91 Ford Bronco Custom

MAGNUM - '05 DODGE MAGNUM SXT
""there is a release of pressure and a load of fumes comes shooting out into the atmosphere. ""

could be an indication that your evaporate controle systems are in failure and require service or that the system was poorly designed in the first place.

one would think proper design would place the vessels under negative pressure

in the system on my '79 vehicle is placed under vacuum , 20 INHG at idle , Valve Cabinet , tappet chest , fuel tank , routed through a dual carbon filter which is shelduled for service @10-20K miles no out gas on opening .

can you describe the nature and required servicing on the evaporation control system?

before opening the fuel cap insure that you ground your self and the vehicle to the fuel dispenser to dissipate any static charge that may be present, static discharge at the moment in time the overpressured fuel tank was opened could have catastrophe results.

Reply  Post New Thread