Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Blueberry - '07 Toyota Camry SE
I carry a full size spare and a plug kit. The tiny weight savings aren't worth the possibility of being stuck on the road because I didn't have a spare.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
I carry a full size spare and a plug kit.
I have never used a plug kit.

Quote:
The tiny weight savings aren't worth the possibility of being stuck on the road because I didn't have a spare.
Sure it's better than no spare at all, but sometimes a donut spare may be out of reach for the nearest tire shop depending on where a tire gets punctured. No wonder I have once seen an old lady getting quite mad after finding out her Chrysler PT Cruiser had only a donut spare instead of a full-size one...
Old 08-11-2020, 07:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cool, thanks for the replies.

Until 2 weeks ago I've only had one flat while driving a car all my life (maybe 130k miles), and it was while I was mowing lawns. I came back from one job to my 2nd gen prius with a sidewall cut. I was 4 miles from home, put the donut on and finished my day of lawns. (yeah I had a rear hitch rack, custom built it to hold my 20" mower, worked great). I didn't even really notice the difference. I do check the pressure in the spare regularly or so I've tried.

Recently I picked up a thick screw with a dull end, from going into the center turn lane too early and hitting all the debris. It didn't leak until I pulled it out the next day. Easy plug fix that seems to not be losing any air.

Most of my driving has me stopping about once per mile, around town. I'll probably leave the donut, already getting 60mpg most of the time in my 3rd gen prius with watching traffic ahead and going the speed limit.

Reply  Post New Thread