Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
Grill block with Bullbar, do just the grill or incorporate the Bullbar

I did the grille block the other day, and engine temps look good, but I was starting to have a bit of a rethink.
I have a bull bar infront of the grille, it is a 3 hoop bar, the centre hoop is 3" diameter and inclines back about 15 degrees and the side bars are 2" diameter. The centre section faces forward and the two sides are angled to the edges about 30 degrees.
I was thinking about the effects of the bars up front on the airflow, so was wondering whether it would be of benefit to incorporate them into the whole grill block thing, I could use clear polycarb at the front & sides, just like big headlight protectors and cover the top with a flexable membrane of some type, like a sporty bonnet protector.
Inclined just slightly above horizontal it would go 1/4 of the way up the bonnet, This would give a much cleaner flow up the bonnet and to the windscreen.
Is it a better idea, or just leave the grille block as is with bullbar exposed?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Losing the bar would be best. Incorporating it (tying it to grille) might work, though.

Some pics would be good. You might be the only guy with a PATROL trying for aero mods.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Losing the bar would be best. Incorporating it (tying it to grille) might work, though.

Some pics would be good. You might be the only guy with a PATROL trying for aero mods.

Likely I am the only guy with a Patrol doing this, gotta keep it quit though otherwise they might "out me".

Will have a look at getting pic's tomorrow, but a quick google of "Nissan Patrol GU" images and you can get the idea.
Incorporating the bar, would not increase frontal aproach much, but it would be a little higher than current bonnet/grille curve. It would get a sort of angular look, which I don't mind, like a "stealth machine", radar don't touch it it kind of feel.
If I go this way, I may even pad over the whole bonnet right up to the windscreen wipers to push the air above them and further up the windscreen and this may help with the flow on the roof then.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
I did the grille block the other day, and engine temps look good, but I was starting to have a bit of a rethink.
I have a bull bar infront of the grille, it is a 3 hoop bar, the centre hoop is 3" diameter and inclines back about 15 degrees and the side bars are 2" diameter. The centre section faces forward and the two sides are angled to the edges about 30 degrees.
I was thinking about the effects of the bars up front on the airflow, so was wondering whether it would be of benefit to incorporate them into the whole grill block thing, I could use clear polycarb at the front & sides, just like big headlight protectors and cover the top with a flexable membrane of some type, like a sporty bonnet protector.
Inclined just slightly above horizontal it would go 1/4 of the way up the bonnet, This would give a much cleaner flow up the bonnet and to the windscreen.
Is it a better idea, or just leave the grille block as is with bullbar exposed?
An image would really help on this.The bars may be close enough to the nose that they are embedded within the deformation of the airstream and affecting flow only in a very minor way.
There is a thread about 'FLOW IMAGES' and looking at the photos,you can see what I'm talking about.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
God forbid that we 'out' you.......

But you do live in the 'OUT'back........!!!!!!

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Reply  Post New Thread