EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Focus Electric Sales Woes (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/focus-electric-sales-woes-24742.html)

wdb 01-26-2013 11:51 AM

Focus Electric Sales Woes

Ford Focus Electric is a bust, company offering $10k in rebates

Ford had high hopes for the Focus Electric, but it appears their dreams weren't grounded in reality as the model has bombed with consumers.

NeilBlanchard 01-26-2013 02:30 PM

They are not trying very hard to sell it. So, I think it is a self-fulfilling sort of thing. When you look at the Focus webpage - the only model you cannot see without sliding the image to the right is the Focus Electric. How dumb a page design is that?

They are hiding it rather effectively.

MetroMPG 01-26-2013 06:00 PM

Nissan Canada is currently offering $6k off its Leafs here as well. They had a sales goal of ~600 cars in Canada in 2012, and managed to sell a bit less than half that.

mechman600 01-26-2013 06:42 PM

To be honest, after riding in a Leaf today, I like the Focus a bit better. I don't think it is as "good" (range-wise and inefficient HVAC system compared to the Leaf), but it is "normal". Plus, the interactive driver infotainment system is much much better. But a $10K premium? EEP. That's a lot of money.

Flakbadger 01-26-2013 09:44 PM

If I could afford a second vehicle, it would be a Focus electric for all my around-town driving... and then I would only use my Yaris for anything over 40 miles or so.

When I win the lottery, I guess

:P

thingstodo 01-26-2013 09:54 PM

Not in Saskatchewan

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 353147)
Nissan Canada is currently offering $6k off its Leafs here as well. They had a sales goal of ~600 cars in Canada in 2012, and managed to sell a bit less than half that.

They (Nissan) may be trying to sell in Ontario, Quebec and BC (maybe alberta?) but I can't buy one here.

:(

And if I could, no one in the province is trained to maintain it.

razor02097 01-26-2013 09:58 PM

I think the new electric cars are still a niche market... Most of the time people that buy them will never make their investment back in savings when comparing it to a comparable compact car. Although there are the people that buy it to be "environmentally kind"....

All that aside...there are still many hurdles to owning an all electric vehicle that some people just can't get over. For example I park on a driveway or sometimes on the side of the street... How the heck would I plug in at night?

That said there is a small client base compared to the rest of the market so it's no wonder Ford didn't sell out.

rmay635703 01-27-2013 12:35 PM

Make it ungodly expensive even in comparison to the competition, make it heavier and less aero than it needs to be just beefing up a stock model, then don't market it, don't put it on the lot and wonder why it failed.

mechman600 01-27-2013 04:31 PM

Give me a brand new Focus and I will convert it, sell the ICE related parts and do it all for way cheaper than the one Ford sells.

mort 01-27-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechman600 (Post 353248)
Give me a brand new Focus and I will convert it, sell the ICE related parts and do it all for way cheaper than the one Ford sells.

Hmm, I wonder, probably not with new parts, warranty and be legal. Ford retails replacement electric motors for $7000, single speed transmission is $10,000, battery for $17,000 even the battery charger is over $4000. Non-automotive motors in the same power range are around $15,000, and heavy. The premium provides Ford about the same profit they make from a "luxury" package.
-mort