Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Tungsten - '04 Dodge Dakota Sport
90 day: 20.52 mpg (US)
A closed wheel with brake ducts from the front that could be closed would be easier and cheaper.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Previous Car - '12 Chevrolet Cruze Eco MT
Team Chevy
90 day: 44.29 mpg (US)

535d XDrive - '16 BMW 535d M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTXA
Way too many times I've wanted to do cruel, unspeakable things to automotive engineers....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrowning
I agree that these are a major problem waiting to happen and they will never go into production.
Relax people, it's a concept vehicle! Way too many times people don't give credit to automotive Engineers where it's due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticuser
This signals something completely different to me:

Ford recognizes that wheel drag is an issue, and is looking at solutions.
This is more like it! Let's TRY to see the positive in new ideas!

Most people are completely unaware that open face wheels are a source of drag. This particular idea may or may not float everyone's boat regarding style/function/cost/repair/whatever, but I think we can all agree there's a generally positive direction regarding this idea no?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTXA View Post
As a professional mechanic, I've spent way to much time cleaning up messes that the engineers foist upon us. All I can see with this system is stuck parts from brake dust, gravel roads, mud, winter road salt, etc.. Of course it is potential for me to keep earning a paycheck.

Way too many times I've wanted to do cruel, unspeakable things to automotive engineers....
What he ^^^ said.

There is a difference between intelligent and smart. It does take a reasonable degree of intelligence to get through engineering school, but, apparently it takes little common sense.

I am a tech as well (mail inserting equipment) and find myself in the same situation where I start wondering exactly how in the hell someone could get a BSME and be as stupid as a box of hammers.

This particular example seems to be a case of an engineer trying to show us how damn clever he is. His design may actually be a clever one, but anyone with the common sense of a bowl of pudding realizes it won't work in real life.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Ya know, all they would have to do would be to drive the shuttering hubcaps by brake temperature instead of speed and it would change the scenario quite a bit.

My son's car has a setting in the light switch called Parade Mode. Now that's cruising.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Runs with scissors

Spot - '05 Scion XA
90 day: 30.33 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
Relax people, it's a concept vehicle! Way too many times people don't give credit to automotive Engineers where it's due.

This is more like it! Let's TRY to see the positive in new ideas!

Most people are completely unaware that open face wheels are a source of drag. This particular idea may or may not float everyone's boat regarding style/function/cost/repair/whatever, but I think we can all agree there's a generally positive direction regarding this idea no?

A couple of broad generalizations there. I've been a pro mechanic for 30 years and if you & I sat down for some cold beers while I regaled you with stories of the bad engineering I've encountered, we would wind up being some seriously drunk hombres. Might take a kegger.

I have wrenched my way through a remarkable evolution in motor vehicles. From early emissions, electronic ignition, fuel injection, computer control systems, and on, it has been a long and sometimes strange trip. Each new technology comes with teething problems that us wrench twisters get to sort out. If you look at the number of technical service bulletins (TSBs) through the life span of any particular model, there are often a large amount during the first few years that slowly diminish as the model ages in production. Mechanics, in the by and large, are responsible for sorting out the engineering issues in the field and getting the manufacturer to put out TSBs, improved replacement parts, and repair procedures. Mechanics deal with angry customers and bosses; not so much for the engineers. When what should be a 20 minute job takes me two hours and my arms & hands look like I stuck my them into a box of seriously pissed off cats, yes I do take umbrage with poor engineering.

But, contrary to your statement, my cohorts and I often discuss good, sound engineering. Nuff said there.

To me, it makes zero sense to apply these wheel shutters to a truck. Granted it's a concept, but wouldn't it make more sense on a hybrid with regenerative brakes? Yes, they are thinking in the right general direction, but they need to be nudged in a direction where the concept might have a chance of succeeding.

And of course, I would be remiss in dropping bombs on engineers without mentioning the full chain of poor decisions, i.e. engineer - designer - bean counter. Lots of bad can happen in between steps.

Back to the beer. Mmmmmmm, beer.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Previous Car - '12 Chevrolet Cruze Eco MT
Team Chevy
90 day: 44.29 mpg (US)

535d XDrive - '16 BMW 535d M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTXA View Post
And of course, I would be remiss in dropping bombs on engineers without mentioning the full chain of poor decisions, i.e. engineer - designer - bean counter. Lots of bad can happen in between steps.
You said it all when you mentioned the bean counters. You make many good points in your follow up.

I just get a little sensitive when I hear people generally referring to automotive Engineers as idiots, as the ones making the accusation usually have very little understanding of what automotive Engineering consists of.

Reply  Post New Thread