Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Seriously? II - '02 Honda` Insight
90 day: 67.94 mpg (US)

Endearing Fuel Gulping Box - '08 Honda Element EX
90 day: 32.18 mpg (US)
FS: My 1994 Honda Civic DX 5 Speed (SRSLY)

Well, in a series of unfortunate events, I've decided to sell my 1994 Civic DX 5 Speed. I frequented this forum a lot when I first bought it because hypermiling really interested me and since I educated myself and performed mods on this car, it got 50 mpg or more most of the time, to 75-82 mpg on a few select trips. (Tennessee to NJ on one tank!) It's got 251,000 miles on it now. It's a DX so, manual steering, manual windows, manual door locks,

But alas, it needs a motor now. Thing is, that's all it really needs. I put a ton of work into the car in the last year or so to make it very roadworthy but I think it's time for a new car.

Non-smoker, Interior is very clean.

I've bought a 2002 Honda Insight and I'm selling this car. If the motor hadn't gone, I'd still be driving it.

So, here goes.

The Good:
- Tires have a lot of tread left. Maybe 30,000 miles on them. They're Kumho LRR tires I've been running at 60 PSI with no problems.
- New brake pads and rotors up front.
- New brake shoes in the back.
- New LF lower control arm (No accidents, bushing went).
- New clutch and Fidanza lightweight flywheel. (Maybe 15k on clutch and flywheel).
- New high capacity aluminum radiator, aftermarket high flow fan, upper and lower radiator hoses, heater hoses and a couple other miscellaneous coolant hoses (Maybe 15,000 miles on it) with Evans NPG coolant throughout and spring removed on radiator cap (Needs an engine though, so not like it matters... lol).
- Some eBay header the shop I worked at had laying around (old), fairly new hidden muffler with turndown tip.
- New Starter (Less than 1,000 miles on it, but if you can source a starter I'd like to return this one since I still have the receipt. If not, take it. ;D)
- MPGuino installed in Civic SI gauge cluster.
- Large interior JDM fanboy rally mirror (Since it's better than the stock mirror with side mirrors deleted).
- Axles only 1 year old (Although I see one beginning to leak on the RF).
- Rebuilt original cylinder head with 30k since rebuild.
- Rust on the body is actually not so bad. There's barely any besides the typical rear 1/4 panel rust, which also isn't very bad. See pictures. Underbody is fine. Rust hole forming on RF fender.
- Aftermarket head unit (albeit and old one).
- Cool early 1980's Civic/CRX hubcaps
- Full Size Spare

I think that may cover the good. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

The Bad:
- Needs a motor. Like definitely needs a motor. 30,000 miles ago, I saw white smoke coming out the tailpipe so I knew it needed a head gasket at least. Upon further inspection of the motor when disassembled, I noticed there was a lot of pitting in the block next to sleeve of cylinder 3 if I recall correctly but I said, "Screw it. Let's put a head gasket on and see what happens.". Converted to Evans NPG so I could run a 0 PSI cap which I figured would be less likely to put pressure on the weak area of the block and I was right. For 30,000 miles. Started misfiring for about 5 secs when starting up in the morning a couple weeks ago but then ran fine. Coolant was spewing in small amounts out of the overflow and getting this sticky carbon like stuff in it. I put a pressure cap on to see what would happen. Sure enough, the misfire got worse and I found a drop of coolant on the tip of the tailpipe. If I top off the coolant, the motor still runs fine with the 0 PSI cap on it, so you should be able to drive it wherever you're going home to without any overheating issues. I have one gallon of NPG left and if you need it for the ride home, you can have it.
- It may need a brake master cylinder. The pedal sinks a bit randomly, but there are no leaks on any of the lines at all. They're all in pretty good shape from what I remember. If you're hypermiling, you're going to be driving a bit of a ways behind people anyway, so it hasn't been enough of an issue for me to replace it.
- Needs a dimmer switch. Conks out every now and then. If you tap the switch the cluster lights come back on.
- Could use some new speakers. The speakers are stock but the RF door speaker intermittently works. I've taken the door panel off and messed with it before, but to no avail. The LF speaker works but it's not very loud.
- Have heard a clunking noise in the front end for a while, but can't pinpoint source. No looseness in front end up or down, no sway bar end links to make noise. I'm assuming its the strut mounts as they are original.
- Hole in the carpet by the gas pedal, driver's seat tear.
- The paint looks terrible. Many different shades of red. Many dings and scratches but overall not horrendous. A paint job would make it look great.

I think that about covers the bad. Once again, any more questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Hypermiling Mods:

- The MPGuino in the Civic SI gauge cluster.
- Front Air Dam Block made in ABS plastic (Stayed cooler than it did stock with the dam block, new radiator, new fan and Evans NPG).
- Front Wheel Air Diverters (Coroplast)
- Rear Wheel Covers (Coroplast)
- Various Underbody Panels (Coroplast, Some of these are falling off/damaged since Hurricane Sandy, haven't got a chance to remake all of them yet).
- Kumho LRR tires in 175/70R13 at 60 PSI.
- Unkown Aftermarket Header (OE header available)
- Hidden Rear Muffler to decrease drag
- A/C Delete
- Side Mirror Delete (Original Mirrors available)
- Hood Raised to divert air over wipers
- Fidanza lightweight flywheel
- OEM Antenna delete with interior antenna installed above windshield
- Rear Wheel Air Diverters (Starting to break)

Pictures:

Xylophone111's Library | Photobucket

Disregard the other photos in the album.

Asking $1500 OBO. Figured I'd offer it to the community who helped me realize I could get insane MPG figures to begin with first. People still don't believe me when I tell them how much I get. ;P haha

PM me, reply to this thread, or call the number listed and let me know if you're interested! Thanks!

Nine 08 - Eight 12 - Eight 194

(PS: Optima Battery isnt included in the sale)

JJ

Last edited by JJMunoz; 09-19-2013 at 11:54 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread