EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Fuel Warmer and Fuel magnet? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fuel-warmer-fuel-magnet-2317.html)

boostanddestroy 05-13-2008 10:49 AM

Fuel Warmer and Fuel magnet?

Okay so i have been doing some research and i was just wondering if some of you could clarify HOW a fuel warmer does it. All i see when i see pictures of them is a brass body with an inlet and an outlet.... is there something special that im missing.

And the fuel magnets. I know what they are and how they do it but how can i go about getting them. Are they available @ a hobby warehouse, or home depot?

SVOboy 05-13-2008 10:51 AM

Before you go throwing money at magnets, I would suggest giving this a read: http://fuelsaving.info/magnets.htm

boostanddestroy 05-13-2008 10:54 AM

Thank you for that. How about a fuel warmer. Some i have seen have two probes comming out of them like for an after market adjustable radiator fan switch. Can someone tell me how they work?

I am just wondering because my fuel lines come in @ the back of the motor and are completely hardlined but i dont mind switching them to a softline if a fuel heater actually works.

i_am_socket 05-13-2008 11:03 AM

From what I've read about fuel warming on here and other sites, it depends on the car. The idea is that warm fuel atomizes better which provides a better burn, likely being done in conjunction with a warm air intake. Some of the sites I looked at I would question their highly dramatic results, but the theory probably has a good amount of merit.

For the DIY route I'd say run some good quality line around/near the exhaust manifold to heat it up, just be sure to keep it somewhat easily reversible so you can give it a good A-B-A test and use something that can easily withstand the temps.

Johnny Mullet 05-13-2008 10:28 PM

So if I took some 3/8" steel fuel line and routed it along the back-side of my exhaust manifold (not too close) and then back to the TB, this would in effect become a "Fuel Warmer"?

Sounds like an experiment to try.

Lazarus 05-13-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet (Post 25655)
So if I took some 3/8" steel fuel line and routed it along the back-side of my exhaust manifold (not too close) and then back to the TB, this would in effect become a "Fuel Warmer"?

Sounds like an experiment to try.

Here's some ideas for you to heat it. Not so volitale as going around the exhaust. I think the temp to shoot for is about 170-190 degrees.

Quote:

Fuel Heater
Two styles of fuel heaters are available from Hydrogen-Boost, one installed inside the upper radiator hose and the other spliced into the heater hose circuit. The heater hose external heater was installed in the Opel. The purpose of the fuel heater is to add extra energy to the fuel so that when it is injected into the engine, more of it is vaporized. This causes more complete combustion at the early part of the power stroke and thereby reducing the amount of fuel needed to produce the power needed

Ryland 05-14-2008 12:08 AM

why not just run a "T" off the radiator hose and have your ridged fuel line go through it? it wouldn't ever get above 220F then so I don't think you would get vapor lock or other vapor related problems and wouldn't have to worry about melting anything.

LostCause 05-14-2008 03:15 AM

If a fuel heater increases atomization as some claim, I would suggest getting your car smogged to get a sense of the amount of unburnt hydrocarbons produced. Modern engines are generally very efficient at burning all the fuel available, but very inefficient at extracting useful energy. If you are worried about unburnt fuel, a warm air intake should be more likely to increase atomization than a fuel warmer.

Unless you live in an extremely frigid environment, I would place the idea fuel warmers in the junk bin.

- LostCause

ellisgl 05-15-2008 08:40 PM

Would you not want to cool the air and heat the fuel to make for a more lean burn?

Daox 05-16-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostCause (Post 25710)
Modern engines are generally very efficient at burning all the fuel available, but very inefficient at extracting useful energy.

I'd love to believe this. After the CAT we know exhaust is fairly clean. But, I wonder how much fuel actually gets to the CAT. Anyone have any info? Anyone ever have a 5 gas analysis without a CAT?