Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

BRICK - '02 Chevy Blazer LS 2 door
90 day: 19.3 mpg (US)
Fuel Warmer and Fuel magnet?

Okay so i have been doing some research and i was just wondering if some of you could clarify HOW a fuel warmer does it. All i see when i see pictures of them is a brass body with an inlet and an outlet.... is there something special that im missing.

And the fuel magnets. I know what they are and how they do it but how can i go about getting them. Are they available @ a hobby warehouse, or home depot?

2002 Chevy Blazer 4.3L / Auto.
"THE QUEST FOR 35mpg"
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Before you go throwing money at magnets, I would suggest giving this a read: http://fuelsaving.info/magnets.htm
Old 05-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

BRICK - '02 Chevy Blazer LS 2 door
90 day: 19.3 mpg (US)
Thank you for that. How about a fuel warmer. Some i have seen have two probes comming out of them like for an after market adjustable radiator fan switch. Can someone tell me how they work?

I am just wondering because my fuel lines come in @ the back of the motor and are completely hardlined but i dont mind switching them to a softline if a fuel heater actually works.

2002 Chevy Blazer 4.3L / Auto.
"THE QUEST FOR 35mpg"
Old 05-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
From what I've read about fuel warming on here and other sites, it depends on the car. The idea is that warm fuel atomizes better which provides a better burn, likely being done in conjunction with a warm air intake. Some of the sites I looked at I would question their highly dramatic results, but the theory probably has a good amount of merit.

For the DIY route I'd say run some good quality line around/near the exhaust manifold to heat it up, just be sure to keep it somewhat easily reversible so you can give it a good A-B-A test and use something that can easily withstand the temps.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
So if I took some 3/8" steel fuel line and routed it along the back-side of my exhaust manifold (not too close) and then back to the TB, this would in effect become a "Fuel Warmer"?

Sounds like an experiment to try.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
So if I took some 3/8" steel fuel line and routed it along the back-side of my exhaust manifold (not too close) and then back to the TB, this would in effect become a "Fuel Warmer"?

Sounds like an experiment to try.

Here's some ideas for you to heat it. Not so volitale as going around the exhaust. I think the temp to shoot for is about 170-190 degrees.

Quote:
Fuel Heater
Two styles of fuel heaters are available from Hydrogen-Boost, one installed inside the upper radiator hose and the other spliced into the heater hose circuit. The heater hose external heater was installed in the Opel. The purpose of the fuel heater is to add extra energy to the fuel so that when it is injected into the engine, more of it is vaporized. This causes more complete combustion at the early part of the power stroke and thereby reducing the amount of fuel needed to produce the power needed

Old 05-14-2008, 12:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
why not just run a "T" off the radiator hose and have your ridged fuel line go through it? it wouldn't ever get above 220F then so I don't think you would get vapor lock or other vapor related problems and wouldn't have to worry about melting anything.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
If a fuel heater increases atomization as some claim, I would suggest getting your car smogged to get a sense of the amount of unburnt hydrocarbons produced. Modern engines are generally very efficient at burning all the fuel available, but very inefficient at extracting useful energy. If you are worried about unburnt fuel, a warm air intake should be more likely to increase atomization than a fuel warmer.

Unless you live in an extremely frigid environment, I would place the idea fuel warmers in the junk bin.

- LostCause
Old 05-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Would you not want to cool the air and heat the fuel to make for a more lean burn?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
Modern engines are generally very efficient at burning all the fuel available, but very inefficient at extracting useful energy.

I'd love to believe this. After the CAT we know exhaust is fairly clean. But, I wonder how much fuel actually gets to the CAT. Anyone have any info? Anyone ever have a 5 gas analysis without a CAT?