Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 02:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Arrow CRX suspension help (buckboards are smoother)

I hope this is the correct area to post this if not please feel free to move it.

I have spent the last several month swapping a 90 CRX Si with an 89 HF motor and trans. I have run into a lot of stumbling blocks along the way but I am finally getting it out on the road.
I of course bought the body from a kid that was in the progress of making it a ricer. I have de-riced it as much as possible along the way but it still has the junk coil over springs and shocks on it that someone had installed.

I didn't expect it to ride like my old Buick but my 1 ton dually rides 10 times better than this thing. So the question is does anyone know where and what I can buy to help out the ride of this car? I have looked for stock stuff but really haven't found much available for it. Everything seems to direct me to these coil overs and that isn't going to work long term.

Sorry for the long post but I am hopeful that someone can direct me to parts that are more suitable for someone over 50 trying to conserve energy and keep his kidneys intact.

Thanks in advance Dave

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I found competitively priced struts assys in the very first place I looked (Rock Auto). They should be very common items, available at any parts store, bricks and mortar or online. You haven't worked on a car before?

Old 10-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hunt around on the CRX bulletin boards. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find someone willing to sell you the stock springs for pretty cheap, since most people swap them out for aftermarket ones.

-soD
Old 10-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
You might also try posting on your local craigslist to get stock shock assemblies, otherwise get what they call a quick strut, it's a fully assembled shock with the spring installed so you don't have to use a spring compressor, the cost tends to be about $10 more but reduces your risk of getting hurt.

You can still get some stock parts from the dealership but the springs are discontinued.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

suspension parts

Thanks some_other_dave, Ryland

I found the same when looking for OEM springs through Honda. I have checked every place local and no one can provide a OE spec spring and most don't even carry any replacement spring (like Rock Auto) no mortar just bricks. The local NAPA store can special order me variable rate springs (for when I have all those extra people riding with me) that was the answer I got when I asked why a variable rate spring. I said "in my 2 seater"?
In my previous experience variable rate springs do NOT provide OE ride or close to it.

The quick strut would be the preferred if I can find them but at this point I haven't found any.

I posted an ad on my local craigslist before I posted this. I have done some looking on the Honda boards without a lot of luck so far.

Thanks again Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
You might also try posting on your local craigslist to get stock shock assemblies, otherwise get what they call a quick strut, it's a fully assembled shock with the spring installed so you don't have to use a spring compressor, the cost tends to be about $10 more but reduces your risk of getting hurt.

You can still get some stock parts from the dealership but the springs are discontinued.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Err... It's a sports car, so it's probably supposed to ride like that.

Reply  Post New Thread