Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Windshield washer fluid. Contains methanol.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Windshield washer fluid. Contains methanol.
I checked the washer fluid bottles at the hardware store, and most of them were ethylene glycol solution?? None of them said anything about methanol content. :/ Maybe that's cuz I'm in California though.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Too bad. Some do or did.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:38 AM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If you guys are interested in seeing some pictures and videos showing how a Ford Taurus SHO accumulates deposits, google "BG Fuel Test." It's pretty interesting/alarming!

GDI is just one of the problems plaguing these new vehicles. Coupled with low tension piston rings, hydraulic actuation, and variable valve timing, you have a recipe for never-ending problems. Most of the issues, though, have more to do with oil than with fuel. Under the high heat and pressure generated inside the crankcase, oil evaporates and travels through the EGR system where it condenses. It ends up coating the intake plenum, and eventually, the back sides of the intake valves. As many have stated, we no longer get the effects of fuel wash as there is no gas hitting those valves, and there's no way to clean that oil residue off. OEM engineers have designed these systems with variable valve timing, which periodically allows for both the intake and exhaust valves to open at the same time, heating incoming fresh air in an attempt to lower emissions. Exposing those oil deposits on the valves to the extreme heat generated in the combustion chamber bakes the oily residue into hard, black carbon deposits. They interfere with valve function and cause serious reductions in efficiency and power. In addition to those top end issues, the low tension piston rings have a tendency to stick and allow blow-by, which some of you have noted with the F150 Ecoboost. The loss of compression also hurts performance and efficiency, and the gasoline that pushes it's way into the crankcase compromises lubrication.

The only way to prevent these issues and protect your GDI engine is through preventative maintenance. You must use an oil that has a very low evaporation rate, and the rings and EGR passageways must be cleaned regularly. I work for BG Products, and we recommend using 3 specific products at every oil change interval (I would change your oil every 5k miles, at least). We use a product called EPR to clean the crankcase, ring landings, and the small passageways of the EGR and PCV systems. It will restore compression that is lost as a result of sticky rings. After your oil change, we recommend adding a product called MOA to the new oil. It neutralizes acids caused by blow-by, reduces friction, and stabilizes the oil, reducing evaporation. The last step of the service is to add a product called 44k to the fuel tank. It will clean carbon deposits from the injectors and combustion chamber, restoring performance and power.

I work for BG, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Do some research and go to BG Findashop - you will find a list of shops near you where you can have thise service performed.

Good luck, guys!

Reply  Post New Thread