EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Gen 1 Insight annoyances (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/gen-1-insight-annoyances-9486.html)

SVOboy 08-01-2009 06:12 PM

Gen 1 Insight annoyances

I'm mainly whining here, but I was really hoping the insight would have a double-wishbone suspension so I could go ahead and try to swap the insight front knuckles onto my CRX, but o no, gotta use macpherson-crap struts.

O well! Guess I'll have to whip up some custom axles.

Frank Lee 08-01-2009 07:02 PM

I guess I don't know what to do about it.

Christ 08-02-2009 03:09 AM

Have you considered pressing the two parts of the hub apart and checking to see if the bearing/spindle of the Insight would fit in the race of the CRX?

If it's too big, it might be better off to just take it to a machine shop and tell them to match the profile of the CRX's spindle, so you can just press it in and be done, still using the Insight axle.

Although, if the axles are the same length or really close, you may just be able to swap the ends from one axle to the other, if the splines on the shaft are correct for the "other" CV end.

SVOboy 08-02-2009 03:26 AM

Yes, I've been trying to investigate those things but I can't find any information on the axles of the insight and those of the CRX in terms of spline count and length, etc. I know the CRX info is out there since I've seen it before, but no luck with the Insight.

Will pick up a shop manual soon, but waiting to get the right year.

Christ 08-02-2009 11:36 AM

Silly me, I had presumed that you already had the parts, or at least had current access to them. :rolleyes:

SVOboy 08-02-2009 12:27 PM

Nope, I'm trying to plan ahead before I just go and take apart my car and think "O hey, this doesn't fit right"

Christ 08-02-2009 12:36 PM

I dunno if the HF axle's center section is any different, but I'll take it apart and count the splines for you, since it's just a junk axle anyway. Who knows, while I have it apart, I might find a use for it!

jamesqf 08-02-2009 01:03 PM

Err... Maybe you need to back up a bit and try to explain why on earth you would want to do such a thing. Is it that you just need a challenge to add some interest to a boring and empty life?

SVOboy 08-02-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 119132)
Err... Maybe you need to back up a bit and try to explain why on earth you would want to do such a thing. Is it that you just need a challenge to add some interest to a boring and empty life?

That's a thinly veiled insult, there.

Anyway, the reason is because I'll be doing an insight swap and having custom axles made would be more expensive than reusing available parts.

Christ 08-02-2009 01:07 PM

There's another thread explaining why SVO wants to add Insight guts to his CRX, rather than just getting an Insight... not sure where it is, though I'm sure I've read it.

My life is fairly boring, so yeah, I'll count the center section's splines for something to do, and to *hopefully* aid a fellow Ecomodder's pursuit of project fruition.