Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Celica VVTI - '05 Toyota Celica GT VVTI
Team Toyota
90 day: 41.89 mpg (US)
Hill climb: 80% Load or "slow speed bleed"

Here's something I find contradictory and hard to fathom... Climbing a hill, I find the most fuel efficient method is a gradual speed bleed. Yet we are also told that the most efficient way to accelerate is at ~80% load. These two seem contradictory- my own findings are that if I accelerate up a hill it is less fuel efficient. Can anyone explain?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
This is indeed a conundrum I face daily.

What I have found is if you can stay in overdrive, do so. This will of course entail a speed bleed, otherwise you will downshift and it's all lost.

Accelerating I would think take somewhat less power than going uphill because you are not fighting to go uphill. I can push my car up to probably 3 mph with leg power on a flat surface, but I can't budge it on even the slightest incline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
You have to look at the whole trip, not just the momentary mileage while climbing the hill. Watch a trip average mpg gauge, if you have one. Try the methods and see which one costs you the least.

I can say that in the cars I've tested, 80% load and low rpm works best. It means slight acceleration, so I do a puuuuuuuuulse and mini-glide.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 12-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
If the hill is the perfect grade then you can maintain 80% load in top gear.

If the grade is less, maintain 80% and increase your speed.

If the grade is more bleed your speed and maintain 80% load.

You have to consider the load and the amount of time it takes to reach the peak of the hill. Least time in top gear while maintaining 80% load is your objective.

If you can't maintain 80% load in top gear, then try the next highest gear with 80%. The 80% is your best efficiency but the longer it takes you to climb the grade the greater time spent at lower mileage.

regards
Mech
Old 03-09-2015, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Suzuki Swift '06 - '06 Suzuki Swift (Base)
There is a hill I commute up and over in my automatic car about one hundred times per year. It takes about 30 seconds to travel up, so it is quite long. My current tactic is to accelerate before the bottom very hard (about 80-90% throttle) to reach the highest gear (which kicks in at about 70km/h). By the time I've hit the slope of the hill I'm at about 90km/h and thereafter gradually lessen the pressure I place on the throttle to avoid it shifting down. If maintain that 80-90% throttle, the car still loses speed up the hill and it drops a gear to try compensate. Half the time, I am able to avoid it shifting down, and the other half the time, once it has fallen below about 65km/h and 20% throttle, it shifts).

Surely easing off the throttle (load) whilst travelling up the hill and losing speed, rather than maintaining 80%, in order to prevent it shifting down, is better?

Old 03-09-2015, 12:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
The slow speed bleed it what works best for me. Then again, I have an automatic, so I have little choice - kick the load up that high and the auto grabs a gear or two.

Accelerating up a hill from a dead stop is the biggest conundrum I face.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 03-09-2015, 04:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
The slow speed bleed it what works best for me. Then again, I have an automatic, so I have little choice - kick the load up that high and the auto grabs a gear or two.
Do you have a device to monitor the load?

I have carefully studied how my 1998 Toyota Camry behaves when ascending a hill, and it won't downshift until 90%+ load is reached or RPM drops too low. It may drop out of closed loop mode on a very long and sustained 85+% load. I keep the load right at 80% on sustained hill climbs both to keep it in top gear, and keep it in closed loop mode. If the hill is very steep, then the car may downshift once RPM drops too low. It doesn't take much of a hill for the relatively tall-geared, heavy, and modestly powered Camry to loose enough speed that it drops down a gear.

The answer to the question is not either 80% load or slow speed bleed, but both. Sustain 80% load, and if the hill is too steep, you will slowly bleed speed.

Notice that as RPM drops, and without moving the throttle position, the engine load will increase. As RPM drops, smaller throttle openings are required to maintain the same engine load. That means you will need to constantly adjust the throttle in response to the engine RPM increasing or decreasing. Less throttle for lower RPM, more throttle for higher RPM; same 80-85% target load.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Daox (03-10-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 05:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Suzuki Swift '06 - '06 Suzuki Swift (Base)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Notice that as RPM drops, and without moving the throttle position, the engine load will increase. As RPM drops, smaller throttle openings are required to maintain the same engine load. That means you will need to constantly adjust the throttle in response to the engine RPM increasing or decreasing. Less throttle for lower RPM, more throttle for higher RPM; same 80-85% target load.
Ah, this is where I went wrong. I always erroneously assumed load correlated with throttle position. This is what I attempt to do anyway; I maintain the maximum load the automatic transmission will allow before it shifts down, which is just another way of stating this thread's newfound consensus, at least for automatics.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Do you have a device to monitor the load?

I have carefully studied how my 1998 Toyota Camry behaves when ascending a hill, and it won't downshift until 90%+ load is reached or RPM drops too low. It may drop out of closed loop mode on a very long and sustained 85+% load. I keep the load right at 80% on sustained hill climbs both to keep it in top gear, and keep it in closed loop mode. If the hill is very steep, then the car may downshift once RPM drops too low. It doesn't take much of a hill for the relatively tall-geared, heavy, and modestly powered Camry to loose enough speed that it drops down a gear.

The answer to the question is not either 80% load or slow speed bleed, but both. Sustain 80% load, and if the hill is too steep, you will slowly bleed speed.

To be honest, I had taken it for granted that an auto and DWL were so mutually exclusive, that I never tried. Yes, I believe that my UG will calculate load. I'll have to experiment with this a little bit.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 03-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Experienced UAW Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat View Post
Here's something I find contradictory and hard to fathom... Climbing a hill, I find the most fuel efficient method is a gradual speed bleed. Yet we are also told that the most efficient way to accelerate is at ~80% load. These two seem contradictory- my own findings are that if I accelerate up a hill it is less fuel efficient. Can anyone explain?
Around 85% throttle, most engine control computers transition from closed loop, stoichiometric, to open-loop, much richer.

Reply  Post New Thread