Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
Wink ghetto modding

So about a month ago a delivery van parks in the employee parking section and clips my mirror on his way out taking off and leaving it dangling by the power cable. (still trying to get a garage to actually send a fax of the estimate to get a replacement should it be necessary, been through 4 shops already)

I had no idea how to take it off completely at the time so I re-attached it using packing tape. Weren't perty, but at least it wasn't dangling. The housing is cracked, the motor is detached from the housing, so it's fairly worthless. While I was waiting in a parking lot for people to show up last night I decided that if it's going to be worthless, it's going to be gone.

I actually found the official repair documentation a while back so now I know how to remove it the right way: remove speaker grill from window corner, take out 2 bolts, remove speaker, take out 1 bolt, remove mirror. Simple, right? Well, turns out I left the regular pliers and the socket set back at home. All I have is needle nose pliers, more packing tape, and a pocket knife. Needle nose pliers don't even budge the bolts and are starting to strip the heads. Well crap. Two minutes and some packing tape later, I've cut the cable and wrapped up the mounting nub:

Still a'int perty, but at least it's not annoying me
I'll do it right later. The rubber mounting will make a nice seal for a much better blanking plate so I don't have to mess with adhesives and I'll be able to put a replacement mirror back on should it be necessary (if the rear view is blocked then the law requires the passenger mirror)

Still haven't checked to see if regular gray duct tape matches my car...

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Harebrained Idea Skeptic

The White Car - '84 Mercedes-Benz 300td
90 day: 28.84 mpg (US)

The Blue Car - '86 BMW 535i
Last 3: 23.86 mpg (US)
Dude, you SERIOUSLY need to invest in a set of proper tools. Regular pliers should never be used for fasteners, because they're mainly good at mangling them (and slipping off and damaging something else or pinching yourself). Locking pliers (i.e. Vise-Grips) and slip-joint pliers (i.e. Channel Locks) have their place, but you should not expect the fastener to come away unscathed, but even then -- they are only used to break something free or to hold something still -- they are not the main tool to be used.

Do not get a generic all-in-one socket kit from a drugstore or whatnot -- they're not much better than pliers. You can get decent basic sets from Sears, Home Depot, or Lowe's. As for me, it's SK...

Old 06-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
I do have a decent socket set, I just didn't happen to have it in a bowling alley parking lot 23 miles from home.

I used to have a box in my trunk that had all the necessary tools for whatever may come (socket set, pliers, screwdrivers, duct tape, air compressor, flares, cables, etc, etc) but it kinda got dismantled over the years as things came up (why yes I do have bungie cord and a crescent wrench, sure you can use them) and I really should put it back together...
Old 06-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Harebrained Idea Skeptic

The White Car - '84 Mercedes-Benz 300td
90 day: 28.84 mpg (US)

The Blue Car - '86 BMW 535i
Last 3: 23.86 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_socket View Post
I do have a decent socket set, I just didn't happen to have it in a bowling alley parking lot 23 miles from home.
Duhh... I missed that in the first read-though.

Reply  Post New Thread