Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 06:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '05 toyota corolla LE
90 day: 28.91 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to blackjackel Send a message via MSN to blackjackel Send a message via Yahoo to blackjackel
Giant grill block/airdam attatchment methods?

I am interesting in starting a giant grill block/airdam covering the entire front part of my bumper all the way to the ground (maybe an inch from the ground).

I want to attach it WITHOUT drilling holes or doing anything that might decrease the resale value if I Decide to sell the car (after stripping off all of the modifications that I did to it).

Some Ideas:

- lots and lots O duct tape.

- VERY strong double-sided tape (the kind you use to hang puctures and stuff up on the wall), I'd have to buy it in bulk.

- Some sort of clamping system that would clamp to the bumper and then clamp to an attatchment that I make to the actual dam.

Please let me know what you did, or what you've seen others do.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-06-2009, 06:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
i'd say zipties

metal brackets might work to... if you can get your hands on an old computer case that's a great source of sheet metal... the cover can be cut up with metal sheers and drilled and bended in a vise to make small brackets, and in the back of a computer there's usually some unused card slots backed off with metal bits.... these can also be drilled and bended to form brackets.... i curently have on in use as part of my undertray support, but they can be used for whatever.

another thing is velcro... i've seen super strong velctro patches advertised in a hardwarestore as a means of attaching tools like happers to a wall.... i wouldn't trust it withthe whole support of whatever you want to build but it might keep some loose agles in check... than again, make sure that whatever you glue to the car can come off later...

a tiny hole in a hidden spot of a bumper will decrease the value of the car less than a blob of glue on the paint that wont come off.

i used to be reluctant to drill in my car's bumper but there's plenyt of out of sight places where noone would care to look for a little hole... also you might have a look if it's possible to santwich something between an existing screw....

but perhaps a picture of drawing could help more
Old 02-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
I don't think anyone is ever gonna go under your car and say theres holes in it so I don't wanna pay X amount. Just make sure you don't put the holes on the front where they are easily visible and I think you'll be just fine.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
For my airdam I drilled small holes into the underside of the valence, where one would never see them unless they jacked up the car and got their head straight under there (bad idea anyway).

You should be able to attach to something on the frame under the front of the car. You could also attach to the radiator support or bumper support, between the hood and headlights, or through the grille (take the grille right out). You could come around to the sides and attach using the fasteners that hold the wheelwell liners to the fenders.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 02-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Sierra - '96 GMC Sierra
90 day: 20.89 mpg (US)

White Lightning - '10 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
90 day: 27.18 mpg (US)
I'd get an old bumper from the junkyard and put all kinds of holes in it, and when you sell the car you still have your nice pretty bumper to put back on. I would make a whole custom bumper though.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
I used industrial Velcro to put an air dam on my Volvo but it isn't nearly as big as yours is planned. Even so, the pressure on it at highway speed is significant. I calculated the pressure once but I've lost those figures. It was several pounds per square inch. Google "wind force" or "wind pressure" to get information. You may have to use physical fasteners such as bolts, screws and brackets.

Reply  Post New Thread