Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimoto View Post
Your missing the point, 2009Prius; GM had this technology available for at least 28 years; and never developed it, or made it available. Can you imagine the billions of gallons of gas that could have been saved? Can you imagine the effect that would have had on the environment? So why are the big 3 still producing cars that get less than 30MPG. It doesn't take a rocket scientest to figure that out, dah! Could there be a relationship between the big 3 and the big OIL companies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
The big three do have this technology but they don't sell it in the US. They will argue that there is no demand but evidence here (EM) suggests otherwise.

Maybe someone here knows why ? Maybe the big 3 could tell us ?
The big 3 only answer to the share holders and only concern with the bottom line. The environment? It's free to destroy (as long as EPA does not fine too heavily)!

The Following User Says Thank You to 2009Prius For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (06-08-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimoto View Post
Your missing the point, 2009Prius; GM had this technology available for at least 28 years; and never developed it, or made it available. Can you imagine the billions of gallons of gas that could have been saved? Can you imagine the effect that would have had on the environment? So why are the big 3 still producing cars that get less than 30MPG. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, dah! Could there be a relationship between the big 3 and the big OIL companies?
I don't think he is. The 100 mpg car you see in this thread became the 50mpg Chevy Sprint once all safety standards of the day were met, and it was "styled" to meet the market demands of the time. The Chevy Sprint became the 50 mpg Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift, with better safety/reliability. When those went away, we got the 50mpg Toyota Prius. Our Prius weighs about 3000 lbs loaded, will do 0-60 in 10 seconds, has 8 airbags, anti-lock brakes, skid control, and seats 5 comfortably, none of which were claims made by the 100mpg car. I would argue that it is just an evolution, and until safety standards level off, or demand for high MPG cars goes up, the peak MPG you will be expecting will stick around 50...
Yes millions of barrels of oil could have been saved, but when gas is cheap, nobody seems to care.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
Quasi-Modder

Exactly my point, the Prius and Insight are not made by the "big 3", which is what the topic I was addressing.

Reply  Post New Thread