Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #101 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Update time!

Sold the carbs for $50 on Ebay.

Cooling fan is installed in the steel side cover for the battery box, I carefully cut and bent the steel to make the duct between the cooling fan and the opening in the motor, then drilled 10 or so holes in the aluminum end plate for the motor for the air to exhaust out, they face back and some what protected so I'm not worried about water getting in, it draws air in from next to the speed controller and air enters the battery box at the top via two air filters under the gas tank, I used canning jar rings to protect the air filters from water that might be splashed on the top of the battery box if I'm ridding in the rain.
I also bought a 2nd cooling fan so I can make a Lexan side cover with that 2nd cooling fan installed, I think 1/4" lexan should be thick enough, but that's a project for later.

There is a point about the DC to DC converter, I have a 10 amp DC to DC converter, with the headlight on, cooling fan on, marker lights on an turn signal on and the brake light lit everything draws just over 10 amps so I bought LED's for all of the lights other then the head light, $70 worth of LED's allowed me to save $40 on the DC to DC converter, but the DC to DC converter is smaller and saved me some valuable space, it's nearly half the size of the 20 amp, version 2 I suspect I'll go with the 20 amp and leave the LED's as an option then mount the DC to DC converter on the outside of the battery box on the angled rear portion, it's weather proof so it'd be fine there.

Wiring is nice and tidy, 12v+ from the DC converter connects to the terminal that the 12v+ from the stock battery would connect to so the key switch sees that 12v+ and switches it and all of the lights then power up with the key, the key switch also sends power to a terminal that would power the CDI box, that is connected to a solid state relay that turns on the main contactor and turns on the cooling fan, so the key switch works just like it would on a stock motorcycle.

The LCD display for the battery management system is also connected to the key switch so it turns on when the key turns on, but I want to check battery voltage without turning the whole motorcycle on so under the LCD display I put a dual throw push button, so when the key is off you press the button and the display turns on, next to it is a button that switches the display between the main display and the broken down display that shows each of the 16 cells voltage and temperature, main display shows pack voltage with a bar graph, amps and a bar graph and state of charge with a bar graph, at the bottom it gives the voltage of the battery that has the lowest state of charge, the battery with the highest state of charge and max battery temperature, I have some 1/8" thick black ABS plastic with a mat finish on one side, my plan is to make a folding rain cover for the LCD that would protect it from long stints in the sun as well, when open it will keep some of the glare off the LCD.

Hobbyist plates showed up and are installed, they now require photos.

Yesterday I rebuilt the front brake caliper, it didn't want to release unless you hit it a few times with a hammer, all new seals and it works perfectly!

Insurance! Progressive said they have no issue insuring home converted electric motorcycles, their online form says for electric motorcycle to enter -0- in the space for engine size but that does not work, the person at Progressive said it was a flaw in their program and said to enter "1 cc" for engine size, but as long as it doesn't go faster then stock they don't care, they do care if it has a cut or welded frame but mine does not.
The most basic coverage is $75 per year, it's really lousy coverage but it makes it legal to ride.
I ended up getting Hobbyist Vehicle insurance from the same company as insures my parents collector vehicles, they were a bit skeptical at first but because I have a primary vehicle that's licensed and insured, another vehicle that has collector plates, two motorcycles and a moped that all have collector plates and belong to two vehicle clubs, they seemed to think that I'm ok, this Hobbyist insurance is awesome, $151 per year for full coverage with nice high limits on everything and no deductibles, I'm hoping that this will set a precedent with this company for others that want to insure home built electric motorcycles seeing as how when I tried to get them to insure my 32 year old electric car they said they did not and would never insure electric cars because people would only own them as cheap forms of transportation, not as a collectible vehicle, this motorcycle on the other hand is very much a hobby, so why not insure it as such?

I still have some small bits to work on on this motorcycle, but as it is it looks good and works great!
Next project is to make flat black plastic panels that fill in the space under the seat, I also want to vacuum form a mock plastic gas tank and sell the steel gas tank on Ebay.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #102 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Where are the pictures?!?!? I wanna see.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #103 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
yeah, i was all ready.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #104 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
What parts do you want to see photos of?
Old 09-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #105 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ryland's 1978 Honda CX500

I added as many photos as they will let me, I also added captions for each photo.

I'll try to take more photos and swap out some of the fuzzy photos for better, clear photos.

Last edited by Ryland; 09-24-2013 at 05:28 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread