Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
2005 Civic LX Automatic Vibration Mystery

I have read that this is a common problem, but I haven't gotten a solid answer on it, or if anyone else has experienced it here...

Vehicle: 2005 Honda Civic LX 4-door, 1.7L, 4-Speed Auto @145K Miles
Problem: Between 35-40 mph, the transmission will shift to 4th and engage the torque converter. The tach reads about 1500-1700 rpm after TC lockup. If light throttle is maintained, a significant, oscillating vibration can be felt from the passenger-front quadrant, near the drivetrain -- and is easily resolved if more throttle is added, or if you back off of it. This is the only condition and speed at which it occurs and it does not matter about weather, A/C usage, etc. It is the lowest lockup engine speed in the transmission's operating range.

The best way to describe the vibration is a "flappy bumping" -- almost like driving on a washboarded road surface at that precise "wavelength", with that one tire. I would not describe it as lugging. The closest experience I had with it was when packed ice/snow caused a wheel to be out-of-balance and bounced the wheel/tire around -- but this feels more toward the the center of the vehicle by 1/3 (not center, not outboard).

I'm just curious -- it's a close family member's car, and I had just put a new alternator in it and was on the test ride. I thought "Oh @#$%! I've done it now!" When I came back, "Oh yeah, it's been doing that for about 8-9 months now". Whew!

Nevertheless, I'm curious about it. I'm trying to help keep this car on the road as long as possible.

RH77

_
_
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Update:

I drove it outside of rush-hour traffic today to gather more info...

If the throttle condition was maintained during the oscillation, it wildly increased in amplitude until my concerns for the components forced backing-off.

It's not a "vibration" -- that's too fast. Picture a ceiling fan out of balance -- or a sine-wave oscillation.

I'm trying to learn to self-maintain vehicles as best as possible, and as safe as possible. Something is clearly amiss when the drivetrain accepts torque at the lowest RPM allowed by the ECU/TCU.

Thanks in advance for any clues!

-Rick / RH77

_
_
Reply  Post New Thread