Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2023, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
GoPro alternative advice needed for testing mods.

What kind of camera do you guys recommend that can stick to the outside and underneath side of a moving vehicle for tuft testing / seeing if anything is flapping in the wind or scraping ?
I currently have one that was something like $7 that was a gift.
It's a Chinese no-brand thing that I fully expected to be just a CrackerJack toy, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality.
It's tiny - about the size of a caramel candy.
But i have not had any luck with my old laptop seeing it.
The lights flash as the should, but I'm not knowing if anything is being recorded.
It also has no way of sticking to my car.

Cheaper the better in this case, since I don't want to spend good money on something that might fall off as I drive along.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-14-2023, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I just remembered that I have a 6' long bore inspection camera that even has a light.
I planned to use it on an old Finnish M39.
The rod is really rigid, and I'll be able to hang it out my window and have it positioned where I can see the side of the car or even in the wheelwell.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Prius Experiment - '07 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 58.52 mpg (US)
I'm not sure how cheap you're trying to go, but I have a cheap GoPro wannabe camera, and have used it to film tuft testing on my car. The image quality was good enough for that. The audio quality is terrible, but you don't need that for tuft testing.

Anyway, the camera was around $70. And where GoPro wannabes are concerned, that's pretty cheap. It has a mounting bracket with a 1/4'-20 mounting lug (so you can attach it to various camera mounts), a view screen, and rechargeable batteries. You can also control it via wifi with your smartphone. And it comes with an assortment of camera mounts.

Here's an Amazon link -- https://www.amazon.com/AKASO-Adjusta...dp/B07JR1XZ78/

In the video below, the clip starting at about 4:16 was filmed with the Akaso camera on a suction-cup mount. (I took two video clips and squashed them to fit on the screen at the same time)

That said, if this is just going to be a one-time use, that's probably overkill. But you might find other uses for the camera.

Last edited by Blacktree; 05-14-2023 at 10:45 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacktree For This Useful Post:
Cd (05-14-2023)
Reply  Post New Thread