Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
The problem is determining exactly where one ends and the other begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

True enough. They could go with multiple numbers, passengers, cargo and combined.

It just makes little sense calling a small car with a gigantic boot midsized. It's not like people are going to be riding in the trunk.

Most people, anyway.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
The RAM 2500 was the bottom vehicle with a score of 18 with a 5.7L V8. Is there anywhere to see the whole list??
The Ram 2500 is available in a cleaner version (22) that beats the Veyron and M-B luxury sedan. If you want the whole list, you can buy the complete Greenercars book. It grants you access to the last ~20 years of lists, calculations, analysis, etc.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaveng View Post
Every year (since the mid-1990s) greenercars.org publishes the cleanest cars based on a factory-to-junkyard analysis. I went through the list and picked-out some of the more-interesting cars. The ones that surprised me I put in bold:

100 maximum score
59 SmartForTwo EV
58 Spark EV
57 Prius City

55 Leaf EV. Prius, Civic, and other compact hybrids.
54 Mirage, Fiesta (normal nonhybrids) (3 cylinders)(and cleanest manual shift cars)
54 Civic Natural Gas
One more honorable mention
The same CREEE Green cradle to grave score.

Gen1 Insight
Last score in 2006 (when they stopped making them) was:
MT 54
CVT 57
Old 08-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
Gen1 Insight
Last score in 2006 (when they stopped making them) was:
MT 54
CVT 57
That says there's something screwy about their analysis. Automatic transmission costs more to manufacture & maintain, gets worse mpg, and (going by accounts here & Insight Central) needs more maintenance, but still gets a higher score?

It's also (IMHO, anyway) pretty messed up to give a score to a new car, and not update that on the basis of experience.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
I too would like to see their methodology and exactly where they are giving and taking away points. My bet is their first fail is to use EPA numbers, then they probably fail to penalize things they like that are harmful like added batteries and their replacement. Then add lots of points for how pure exhaust is even though the difference from high to low in modern cars isn't much. My pet peeve is the catalytic converter, it's time to rethink it's benefits to it's cost of production and use especially outside of big cities.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

The only thing to account for the Insights lower score is that it's made entirely of aluminum, which is more energy intensive to refine than steel. However recent articles have stated it is less energy intensive to use aluminum than steel over a fullsize vehicles lifetime because of the mpg gained in weight savings.

The CVT gets a better score because it has less NO2 emissions making it cleaner. The MT has less Co2 emissions though.

As it stands the Insight is more eco friendly than many electric cars on that list. If you used the actual mpg you get, it would be equal or darn near close to superior. Which is already saying a lot for a the poor "mild" hybrid drivetrain.

Last edited by sheepdog 44; 08-10-2014 at 08:51 PM..
Old 08-11-2014, 01:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
My pet peeve is the catalytic converter, it's time to rethink it's benefits to it's cost of production and use especially outside of big cities.
EFI, and even turbochargers, decrease both the amount of unburnt hydrocarbon emissions but also carbon monoxide that is more harmful than CO2. IIRC, the reason for cats to get widespread was exactly the carbon monoxide emissions...
Old 08-11-2014, 01:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
The only thing to account for the Insights lower score is that it's made entirely of aluminum, which is more energy intensive to refine than steel. However recent articles have stated it is less energy intensive to use aluminum than steel over a fullsize vehicles lifetime because of the mpg gained in weight savings.
Also, if you happen to have the misfortune to live in places where the state dumps thousands of tons of corrosive chemicals on the roads, your aluminum body will not start looking like Swiss cheese after a few years, so the vehicle lifetime may well be much longer.

Quote:
The CVT gets a better score because it has less NO2 emissions making it cleaner. The MT has less Co2 emissions though.
As I thought, their weighting scale is messed up, giving undue weight to NOx, which eventually winds up as soil nitrates - IOW fertilizer.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
if you happen to have the misfortune to live in places where the state dumps thousands of tons of corrosive chemicals on the roads, your aluminum body will not start looking like Swiss cheese after a few years, so the vehicle lifetime may well be much longer
And also, less energy and raw materials are required to manufacture the supplies needed to repair the rusty spots.

Reply  Post New Thread