Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2020, 02:21 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 991
Thanks: 62
Thanked 863 Times in 563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
* It goes back to the fluid mechanics ground rules Hucho wrote about :
' the essential experimental results, presented as ground rules of fluid mechanics and brought to general validity wherever possible;'
Hucho, page one of he Preface
* fundamentals are fundamentals.
* it's the whole point of his book!
* and I promise to continue whenever something dovetails into what's already established in the public domain.
[Shrug]

It's a fallacious, superficial argument premised - as so many of yours unfortunately are - on a rather literal and/or simplistic understanding of what is being discussed.

The rules of thermodynamics haven't changed in 100+ years - but today we don't design engines like those of the 1930s, or even 1960s or 1980s.

The rules of resonant mechanical systems haven't changed in 100+ years - but today we don't design suspension systems like those of the 1930s, or even 1960s or 1980s.

But I for one, will always keep reading historic documents on engine and suspension design - and aerodynamics - because I think the historic context informs current thinking.

But it's a completely different thing to think that it should dictate current thinking.

If you presented historic examples in the context of 'hey, look at this - isn't it interesting?' I'd be applauding what you do. But you don't - you pretend (or even believe?) that this history should be directing what we do now - and that is just ridiculous.

Your approach has unfortunately led you to have lots of mistaken beliefs about what is happening with airflow on current cars and then to - unforgivably* - advise people based on those erroneous beliefs. And you have been very successful - I can see time and time again people on this group parroting the falsehoods you have disseminated.

(*I don't care what you believe - lots of people believe all sorts of weird stuff. But I do care when you are leading others astray based on your incorrect beliefs.)

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-12-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 10-11-2020, 02:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 991
Thanks: 62
Thanked 863 Times in 563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Oh to be a fly on the wall when you come across a Marxist-feminist who demands that you use their pronouns. Compelled speech.
I was thinking about this as I mowed the grass today.

My degree level major is in sociology (and I have another in geography) and so I have studied with, and worked with, women with plenty of marxist-feminist philosophies.

And I have no issues. Why would I?

Your nominating this group tells us more about you than them!

Demonising others based on their beliefs - rather than arguing with those beliefs - seems to me to be an intellectual short-cut.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 17,182
Thanks: 4,599
Thanked 5,751 Times in 4,586 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking about this as I mowed the grass today.
I'd let it go long ago. I have a degree also. I've learned a lot since.

Quote:
...plenty of marxist-feminist philosophies

And I have no issues. Why would I?
How many philosophies in total? Do they compel your speech? It's the law in Canada.

Quote:
Your nominating this group tells us more about you than them!
I think your projecting.

Quote:
Demonising others based on their beliefs - rather than arguing with those beliefs - seems to me to be an intellectual short-cut.
And calling people names, like Airhead, is worst.
__________________
.

We are operating at an overall mechanical efficiency of only four percent… Therefore, we find that if we increase the overall mechanical efficiency to only twelve percent we can take care of everybody. That three-fold increase in the overall efficiency can only be accomplished by redesign. – R. Buckminster Fuller

_________________
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Piotrsko (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 05:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 11,678
Thanks: 18,772
Thanked 6,075 Times in 3,720 Posts
beliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
[Shrug]

It's a fallacious, superficial argument premised - as so many of yours unfortunately are - on a rather literal and/or simplistic understanding of what is being discussed.

The rules of thermodynamics haven't changed in 100+ years - but today we don't design engines like those of the 1930s, or even 1960s or 1980s.

The rules of resonant mechanical systems haven't changed in 100+ years - but today we don't design suspension systems like those of the 1930s, or even 1960s or 1980s.

But I for one, will always keep reading historic documents on engine and suspension design - and aerodynamics - because I think the historic context informs current thinking.

But it's a completely different thing to think that it should dictate current thinking.

If you presented historic examples in the context of 'hey, look at this - isn't it interesting?' I'd be applauding what you do. But you don't - you pretend (or even believe?) that this history should be directing what we do now - and that is just ridiculous.

Your approach has unfortunately led you to have lots of mistaken beliefs about what is happening with airflow on current cars and then to - unforgivably* - advise people based on those erroneous beliefs. And you have been very successful - I can see time and time again people on this group parroting the falsehoods you have disseminated.

(*I don't care what you believe - lots of people believe all sorts of weird stuff. But I do care when you are leading others astray based on your incorrect beliefs.)
You don't have enough education to be able to discern one way or another. What you believe means nothing to me. It's belief. Belief and science are not bedfellows. You're not arguing factually. You can no longer give it the time. Although you have endless time for non-constructive criticism. You can't even get the nomenclature correct. You lack fundamentals. Fundamentals don't change.
Some of the things you say are correct within a certain context, however you try to pass it off as a universal absolute. Even Ayn Rand would argue against your brand of 'logic.'
You're wrong about wind tunnels.
You're wrong about rotating wheels.
You're wrong about the 'template.'
Evidence doesn't appear to mean anything to you.
You're measurements are typically contextual.
You cherry-pick Hucho.
When I present Hucho's counterfactual evidence to one of your claims all I get is crickets.
If you want to discuss intellectual dishonesty, well , you wrote the book.
Book sales ahead of all else! Hucksterism reigns supreme. Buy my books! Buy my books! By my Books!
Your a real piece of work!
Man see's what he wants to see.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/

Last edited by aerohead; 10-12-2020 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: typo
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #25 (permalink)
-----------------
 
IRONICK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Romania
Posts: 30
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Book sales ahead of all else! Hucksterism reigns supreme. Buy my books! Buy my books! By my Books!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 991
Thanks: 62
Thanked 863 Times in 563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
You don't have enough education to be able to discern one way or another. What you believe means nothing to me. It's belief. Belief and science are not bedfellows. You're not arguing factually. You can no longer give it the time. Although you have endless time for non-constructive criticism. You can't even get the nomenclature correct. You lack fundamentals. Fundamentals don't change.
Some of the things you say are correct within a certain context, however you try to pass it off as a universal absolute. Even Ayn Rand would argue against your brand of 'logic.'
You're wrong about wind tunnels.
You're wrong about rotating wheels.
You're wrong about the 'template.'
Evidence doesn't appear to mean anything to you.
You're measurements are typically contextual.
You cherry-pick Hucho.
When I present Hucho's counterfactual evidence to one of your claims all I get is crickets.
If you want to discuss intellectual dishonesty, well , you wrote the book.
Book sales ahead of all else! Hucksterism reigns supreme. Buy my books! Buy my books! By my Books!
Your a real piece of work!
Man see's what he wants to see.
You didn't address even one of my points, as usual. So maybe let's try again?

You wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
* It goes back to the fluid mechanics ground rules Hucho wrote about :
' the essential experimental results, presented as ground rules of fluid mechanics and brought to general validity wherever possible;'
Hucho, page one of he Preface
* fundamentals are fundamentals.
* it's the whole point of his book!
* and I promise to continue whenever something dovetails into what's already established in the public domain.

It's a fallacious, superficial argument premised - as so many of yours unfortunately are - on a rather literal and/or simplistic understanding of what is being discussed.

The rules of thermodynamics haven't changed in 100+ years - but today we don't design engines like those of the 1930s, or even 1960s or 1980s.

The rules of resonant mechanical systems haven't changed in 100+ years - but today we don't design suspension systems like those of the 1930s, or even 1960s or 1980s.

But I for one, will always keep reading historic documents on engine and suspension design - and aerodynamics - because I think the historic context informs current thinking.

But it's a completely different thing to think that it should dictate current thinking.

If you presented historic examples in the context of 'hey, look at this - isn't it interesting?' I'd be applauding what you do. But you don't - you pretend (or even believe?) that this history should be directing what we do now - and that is just ridiculous.

Your approach has unfortunately led you to have lots of mistaken beliefs about what is happening with airflow on current cars and then to - unforgivably* - advise people based on those erroneous beliefs. And you have been very successful - I can see time and time again people on this group parroting the falsehoods you have disseminated.

(*I don't care what you believe - lots of people believe all sorts of weird stuff. But I do care when you are leading others astray based on your incorrect beliefs.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 17,182
Thanks: 4,599
Thanked 5,751 Times in 4,586 Posts
My motto for the day :
Quote:
May the Baby Jesus shut your mouth and open your mind.
Captain Beefheart
Quote:
But I for one, will always keep reading historic documents on engine and suspension design - and aerodynamics - because I think the historic context informs current thinking.
I'm watching anime. Appare-Ranman!:

https://www.anime-planet.com/images/...an-14110-6.jpg


https://i1.wp.com/nyc3.digitaloceans...80%2C720&ssl=1
__________________
.

We are operating at an overall mechanical efficiency of only four percent… Therefore, we find that if we increase the overall mechanical efficiency to only twelve percent we can take care of everybody. That three-fold increase in the overall efficiency can only be accomplished by redesign. – R. Buckminster Fuller

_________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 11,678
Thanks: 18,772
Thanked 6,075 Times in 3,720 Posts
'mistaken beliefs'

Curiously, after a close examination of ' Modifying the AERODYNAMICS of Your Road Car, I discovered the same mistaken beliefs being propagated within the book.
Isn't it interesting?

__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com