Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2014, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

nadia - '03 ford mustang mach1
90 day: 18.47 mpg (US)

Jasper - '11 ford f150 xlt ecoboost
90 day: 18.71 mpg (US)

Festy festiva - '91 ford festiva L
TEAM FESTIVA
90 day: 55 mpg (US)
Had a thought and want input (raising rear of hood)

So i was trying to think about how to soften the windshield angle but decided I don't want to bust out a hacksaw and welder to change it.

So would having a hood panel that followed the blue line in my photo below be beneficial or is a waste of time? Stock line is the yellow one.

I should have added that the passenger side wiper is removed and drivers will be eventually.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	festiva hood idea.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	14516  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
cowl area

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintme205 View Post
So i was trying to think about how to soften the windshield angle but decided I don't want to bust out a hacksaw and welder to change it.

So would having a hood panel that followed the blue line in my photo below be beneficial or is a waste of time? Stock line is the yellow one.

I should have added that the passenger side wiper is removed and drivers will be eventually.
Hucho and other investigators would have you consider that:
*This area has probably already undergone 'optimization' in the wind tunnel and is already 'saturated,' meaning that any further alteration will provide diminishing returns.
*The burble in front of the windshield is beneficial to cabin ventilation,saving power for the electric blower fan.
*The burble is embedded within the active airflow,traveling with the car as it goes down the road.
*The surrounding flow is free to traverse the A-Pillars and Windshield header,free of separation on it's way to the rear,with no significant penalty owing to the burble.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I performed the mod you propose,both on my CRX,and on the T-100 at Bonneville,and measuring to 1,000th of a mph,saw no difference in top speed (a measure of mechanical efficiency).This would be reflected in mpg as well.
Hucho tells us that the streamlining action is at the rear,reducing separation through careful body elongation.
Your car is modern enough that I suspect that you'll see your money and time best spent dealing with the rear end.

MetroMPG (01-26-2014), renault_megane_dci (01-25-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread