Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello from Madison, WI

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site AND to the whole ecomodding/hypermiling community, and want to say that it's awesome to see people implementing mods for something more useful than the typical street racing crap.

Right now I'm driving a '93 Camry that needs work and gets about 18-25mpg while I search for a 90-95 Civic--which is MUCH harder than I thought! It seems that more people want to buy them than sell them. It's also hard to find a Civic that isn't modded for max hp. I was hoping I could ask a few questions to help get me started:

Does a particular body type get better mileage? I'm looking around for a hatchback (lighter?) or coupe (better aerodynamics?).

I found a really nice 1993 Civic SI hatchback (near mint, 173K), but was wondering if the "sportier" engine would significantly offset max fuel efficiency. I think the EPA gives it 25-33 mpg. Could the engine be swapped for a VX, CX, or DX (I have a couple mechanic friends)?

I also found a 1998 Civic DX coupe--would that be better than the '93 SI hatchback?

Does anyone know how many mpg's would be gained by converting power steering to manual on a civic hatchback?

Sorry if I'm asking questions that belong in another thread, I still haven't thoroughly explored the forums yet. I appreciate the help, and will let everyone know what I choose.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Welcome to ecomodder!

The car body is indeed important to fuel economy, and I think the coupe's tend to be the lightest (except for the vx/cx) and have the best Cd, but then again the hatchback is more utile, I think.

You can indeed swap the engine out, so I'd go for it if it's a real good deal, but otherwise, wait for something better (you can sell the Si stuff, too).

I'm sure the power steering delete will net you some gain, but how much is really hard to say.

Be sure to check out our hypermiling page!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. I don't know much about the Hondas, but the are good cars.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Welcome drgonzo8000! I'm from the Milwaukee area.