Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
I don't see nature as providing any aerodynamic benefit beyond inspiration. It took mankind thousands of years to master flight primarily because he tried to emulate nature. Look at DaVinci's flying contraption:

Da Vinci Flying Machine

- LostCause
Ornithopter

I have no doubt, that if Da Vinci had the proper materials available - he'd have been successful

Or the strandbeest - that's a pretty cool wind powered kinetic sculpture (maybe a bit of a stretch).

aerohead (06-16-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Ornithopter

I have no doubt, that if Da Vinci had the proper materials available - he'd have been successful
Ornithopters are pretty amazing, but the end of the following video sums up my feelings...

UTIAS Ornithopter

I'll give it to them that they were flying.

- LostCause
The Following User Says Thank You to LostCause For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-16-2012)
Old 04-11-2008, 01:06 AM   #23 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Aerohead, I don't know if you use images during your presentations, but this is a famous painting I remember coming across that represents nature in design. Matthew Baker was an English shipwright during the turn of the 17th century that attributed the quality and speed of his ships to his keen observation of fish.

Matthew Baker Fish Morphology

- LostCause
The Following User Says Thank You to LostCause For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-16-2012)
Old 05-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
fish morphology

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
Aerohead, I don't know if you use images during your presentations, but this is a famous painting I remember coming across that represents nature in design. Matthew Baker was an English shipwright during the turn of the 17th century that attributed the quality and speed of his ships to his keen observation of fish.

Matthew Baker Fish Morphology

- LostCause
LostCause,I used to post images over at maxmpg.I use the computer at a local copy center and the fella who owns the business has helped me do all the hocus-pocus.His computers are slow by today's standards and it takes a lot of time for him to isolate individual images from my camera,or scan and Jpeg everything to email it.I haven't asked him to do it in a long time 'cause it seems to be such an imposition.and he's usually quite busy.I need to do it as its such a great way to communicate.I haven't seen your image of Baker's work before.Its great! I get a lot of catalogues for historical and military stuff,and they recently offered a model of Noah's Ark,which appeared remarkably streamlined.Your stills,tables, and video are the way to go.I hope to get some images transferred ( I collect Stuff all the time),however,with work taking me out of town for many weeks lately,just looking in at ecomodder has been a real luxury.Thanks for all your post,Phil.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

venture - '01 Chevrolet Venture LX
90 day: 25.58 mpg (US)

Dakota SLT - '01 Dodge Dakota Club Cab SLT
90 day: 19.05 mpg (US)

Focus - '00 Ford Focus ZTS
90 day: 32.32 mpg (US)

Chili Bean - '96 Geo Metro base
I seem to remember the Navy using a paint on the hulls that mimics the texture of shark skin giving a substantial gain in efficiency.

Last edited by Mavrik; 05-11-2008 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Shark-Coating-42520.shtml
The Following User Says Thank You to Mavrik For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-16-2012)
Old 07-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hull paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post
I seem to remember the Navy using a paint on the hulls that mimics the texture of shark skin giving a substantial gain in efficiency.
I've heard rumors about this.So far I haven't snagged anything on it.Doesn't mean it isn't out there.There is a fella that did Dolphin research for the US Navy that came out "Laminflo",a coating applied to torpedoes,which lowered skin friction remarkably.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
I believe that olympic swimmers are using full-body suits with a poly shark-skin for better hydrodynamics.
The Following User Says Thank You to MazdaMatt For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-16-2012)
Old 07-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I've seen the suits on GOOGLE.Pretty fun stuff! Does the Olympic Committee allows one contestant to compete with such technology,without requiring all to wear such a suit?
Old 01-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Sorry to dig up an old post, but since I found one that related directly to the subject I thought I would post here.
I found an article on biomimicry, specifically biomimicking sharks. It looks like these people also have a book that will be coming out about the top 100 ways they have found to mimick nature. They have found better ways for many things, from heating and cooling homes to solar power to how we clean our boats (this is where sharks come in). I don't want to say too much, just that you should check out the article and I hope you enjoy.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

related

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt View Post
Sorry to dig up an old post, but since I found one that related directly to the subject I thought I would post here.
I found an article on biomimicry, specifically biomimicking sharks. It looks like these people also have a book that will be coming out about the top 100 ways they have found to mimick nature. They have found better ways for many things, from heating and cooling homes to solar power to how we clean our boats (this is where sharks come in). I don't want to say too much, just that you should check out the article and I hope you enjoy.
wyatt,it's a tasty article,thanks much!