EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Has anyone [in the U.S.] received your stimulus check? How are you going to spend it? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/has-anyone-u-s-received-your-stimulus-check-38308.html)

Xist 04-17-2020 12:10 PM

Has anyone [in the U.S.] received your stimulus check? How are you going to spend it?
 
I am still working, just not enough. I had saved up a bit, although I still have $7,000 on a credit card, but it is at 0%. I guess that I will just pay tithing and pay down my credit card.

What about you guys?

freebeard 04-17-2020 12:17 PM

First!

I made a withdrawal yesterday. No joy.

I've been on a fixed income for 15 years, and I'm spending less. I called CenturyLink and dumped the third part long distance scammer. They outsource a core competency, unless you ask them not to. :confused:

Xist 04-17-2020 12:45 PM

I have checked every morning and I still do not have it today--or my school paycheck.

I actually earned that one!

oil pan 4 04-17-2020 01:25 PM

My wife seized most of mine.

redpoint5 04-17-2020 01:33 PM

If I get one, it will probably go into the stock market. I'm trying to do a bit of market timing, which I know is a fool's errand.

Longer term I'd like to start a business of some sort, probably in property development or rental properties.

I'd also like to replace the '92 jetski and trailer that was stolen about a year ago. Maybe the down economy will push prices on used toys down... and I owe my dad an ATV since I gave his to my best friend.

oil pan 4 04-17-2020 01:44 PM

You should already be back in the market like a week ago.
I put my work 401k back into large cap and it's only been down 1 day since then and already up 3%.
Probably keep it there till july or August.
May is usually not a great month for the stock market, but anything can happen this year.

redpoint5 04-17-2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 621876)
You should already be back in the market like a week ago.
I put my work 401k back into large cap and it's only been down 1 day since then and already up 3%.
Probably keep it there till july or August.
May is usually not a great month for the stock market, but anything can happen this year.

Yeah, I know very little about the stock market and have no great insight into market timing. My hunch is that we are on a dead cat bounce and that things will tank again once we hit the 2nd and 3rd wave of shelter in place orders, and people realize their job loss is permanent.

Maybe I'll buy in now, ride the bounce, and try to time the fall... which I predict will be this fall.

A group of friends have made an investment game where we all take $100 and invest it. At the end of the investment period, whoever has the most profit wins the right to buy the losers a round of Scotch.

I had no interest in stock market investing until I realized the DOW had lost 1/3 of it's value in a month. Nice to jump in when you can get a discount like that. I do want to take long positions though.

oil pan 4 04-17-2020 04:41 PM

Now doesn't appear to be a bad time to be in, don't be in this fall because the virus is probably going to make a bit of a comeback and it's an election year.
Then after trump wins 4 more years the market should take off late December as long as the virus isn't killing more people than drunk drivers.
If some how Biden wins expect 4 years of typical Obama "it's technically not a recession economy" and for Bidens vp to run the country after he croaks in office.

Xist 04-17-2020 06:42 PM

Biden is less than four years older. Yes, those years could be critical if he died before he is 82 years and 2 months, but there is a chance the current guy wouldn't make it either.

redpoint5 04-17-2020 06:50 PM

I don't expect Biden to die, I expect his cognitive function to be insufficient to lead the administration. This seems like a good thing to me, as I'd rather leave the real work up to experts and just have a figurehead deliver the speeches. The vice president would be inconsequential as usual unless the POTUS actually died or was otherwise removed from office.

Regarding Trump, I didn't want him to be POTUS during the campaign (even less wanted Hillary), but have surprisingly become accustomed to vindictive behavior from the commander in chief. Some of that has turned out to be an asset, for instance with how we stand up against China or N Korea. I trust that Trump would act in the interest of the US more than other recent contenders. Since I don't follow politics, I'm at a loss to enumerate the policies Trump has gotten wrong so far (though I'm sure there are some). I'd sure miss all the LOLs I get from trolling the MSM. I don't think Biden would be quick enough to expose the "news" as the idiots they are.

Xist 04-17-2020 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 621916)
I don't think Biden would be quick enough to expose the "news" as the idiots they are.

You keep referring to this and I have asked for specific examples, but you just respond "I don't watch the news."

oil pan 4 04-17-2020 07:16 PM

Biden is clearly suffering from brain rot.
Just think if hillery was president. Everything would be under total lock down because they waited for 1,000 people to die from the virus before doing anything. 2 million infected 100 dead would the the optimistic numbers. They would be praising China and the who for a job well done, be trying to find more ways to be further dependent on china, gifting more money to the who, ect.

freebeard 04-17-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

You keep referring to this and I have asked for specific examples, but you just respond "I don't watch the news."
One example among many.
Krystal and Saagar: Biden literally INCOMPREHENSIBLE live on CNN
It's being called elder abuse.

Tim Pool: Media Smears Against Trump BACKFIRE As President Is Proven Right AGAIN, Leftists Look INSANE

"Partly false vs Mostly true"?

edit:
Are you ready for Stacey Abrams as President?

redpoint5 04-17-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 621918)
You keep referring to this and I have asked for specific examples, but you just respond "I don't watch the news."

Have you asked me for examples? If so, I've missed those requests.

I don't really care to dump on Biden, but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4VH2JjWDnk&t=0m41s

JSH 04-17-2020 11:57 PM

My parents received theirs on Tuesday. They are retired with no loss of income and nothing they need to spend money on. For now they just plan to leave it in the bank.

IRS.gov says my wife and I will get a check but doesn't know when.

We plan to donate ours to the local food bank

Two unrelated but planned purchases:
  1. My wife is ordering the new iPhone SE to replace her 5 year old iPhone SE. (Apple stops supporting devices after 5 years)
  2. I'm going to order a motorcycle airbag vest but haven't finalized the model. I'm leaning towards the Hit Air MLV-C. I got the BMW out for the first time today and did a short 10 mile ride to pick up some take-out.

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-lfet...0.1280.jpg?c=2

oil pan 4 04-18-2020 12:10 AM

My 2 or 3 year old Samsung s5 died it's final death last week.
Bought another one since they're cheap and I'm pretty sure upgrading could require a new Sim card, with the phone stores closed getting a new sim might take a while.

redpoint5 04-18-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 621926)
I'm going to order a motorcycle airbag vest but haven't finalized the model. I'm leaning towards the Hit Air MLV-C. I got the BMW out for the first time today and did a short 10 mile ride to pick up some take-out.

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-lfet...0.1280.jpg?c=2

I didn't even know these existed until an airbag equipped Dainese jacket was on Slickdeals a couple weeks ago. Rather than spend $600 on a jacket with an airbag that isn't removable, I figured I'd just buy a standalone vest.

Xist 04-18-2020 02:19 PM

It seems that I quoted the wrong part and you guys misunderstood.
how about:
Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 621916)
I'm at a loss to enumerate the policies Trump has gotten wrong so far (though I'm sure there are some). I'd sure miss all the LOLs I get from trolling the MSM.

There is no shortage of Biden's word salad, but he would never say:
Quote:

Afraid? Now let's get this straight, Rubble, I don't need permission from my wife to make a decision. In my cave, I reign supreme, *SUPREME*.
Wait no, he said "I have absolute power!"
Or was that Elliott from "E.T.?"
Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 621928)
My 2 or 3 year old Samsung s5 died it's final death last week.
Bought another one since they're cheap and I'm pretty sure upgrading could require a new Sim card, with the phone stores closed getting a new sim might take a while.

Did you buy that used? :) That came out in 2014 and the S6 came out in 2015, although I am sure that you could purchase each new for a couple of years.

oil pan 4 04-18-2020 02:38 PM

Supposedly I can still get a new Samsung S5.
I got that last one used when I got back from Afghanistan in early 2017.

Just yesterday Biden had another one of his word salad moments on live camera. It was all over the Internet within a few minutes. On a typical day the longest he can go without falling apart is about 7 minutes unless reading off the tele.

On the debate stage trump will go sentinel and eat biden alive while everyone watches.
The dems have to be dreading any kind of debate.

redneck 04-18-2020 02:45 PM

.

Here you go Xist...

https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=863424218

You won’t get any better any cheaper...

Click check inventory.

>

freebeard 04-18-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist
There is no shortage of Biden's word salad, but he would never say:
Quote:
Afraid? Now let's get this straight, Rubble, I don't need permission from my wife to make a decision. In my cave, I reign supreme, *SUPREME*.
Wait no, he said "I have absolute power!"
Or was that Elliott from "E.T.?"

Another mind that can't distinguish entertainment from real life. Bless your heart.

Daox 04-18-2020 04:26 PM

We are planning on using our check to help friends of ours. They invented a board game a few years back and they want to get it to market. We are going to use it to help them get closer to that reality. It'll likely be used for graphic design, printing and manufacturing.

Xist 04-18-2020 05:35 PM

That sounds cool Daox.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 621952)
Another mind that can't distinguish entertainment from real life. Bless your heart.

No, Turnip can't.

freebeard 04-18-2020 06:12 PM

Quote:

No, Turnip can't.
"The way to get a good answer on the Internet is not to post a question, but to post a wrong answer."
No, U. :)

JSH 04-19-2020 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 621943)
I didn't even know these existed until an airbag equipped Dainese jacket was on Slickdeals a couple weeks ago. Rather than spend $600 on a jacket with an airbag that isn't removable, I figured I'd just buy a standalone vest.

I've had my eye on them for a few years but I've finally decided to buy one. On one hand $500 is pricey but on the other hand my insurance deductible is $5000.

Now that the electronic versions have come down in price I've thought about going high tech but I think I'll stick to the old reliable pull cord. I have enough things to keep charged on a trip.

redneck 04-19-2020 09:27 AM

.

*** Not safe for work (NSFW) ***

Or if you’re easily offended, don’t click.



A Message to the Government

https://www.citizenfreepress.com/bre...he-government/

Something along these lines should have been put in place instead of spending $$$ Trillions $$$ that “We the people” will ultimately be paying for through higher prices and taxes.


>

Xist 04-20-2020 04:27 PM

Treasury attorneys review bank seizures of $1,200 aid checks
 
I wouldn't care if my bank took my check and applied it to my credit card balance [which is up-to-date [and at 0%]], but I do not need the money. I just plan on paying down my balance anyway. Few things in my life are the way that I want them, but there are definitely people in worse positions:
Quote:

A mother of five living in a domestic abuse shelter sought legal help because she was unable to receive her check due to a frozen account. Because court services have been reduced, her initial hearing date was not scheduled until June.
Quote:

Treasury was warned weeks ago about the potential danger of letting the payments be siphoned off. On April 9, Sens. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) and Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) sent a joint letter to Mnuchin urging him to prevent the funds from going to private collectors settling prior debts.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...imulus-checks/

redpoint5 04-20-2020 05:50 PM

Might have to raise the rent.

I was notified that my tenants would have difficulty paying rent since they have been furloughed, so I didn't collect rent this month. Yesterday I went to work on the house and found a brand new Honda motorcycle in the garage. Money's too tight to pay rent, but not to tight to buy a new motorcycle (I've never owned a new vehicle at all).

In fairness, it was not clear at the time that unemployment would be more lucrative than working, or that federal money was coming.

Xist 04-20-2020 07:51 PM

I applied for unemployment, but almost all of my W2 pay came after Arizona's arbitrary deadline of September First, 2019. I received an e-mail ten days ago that I may be eligible for Pandemic Unemployment Insurance and they will contact me if they need more information.

Do I need unemployment? Not currently. Will I be approved? I don't know, but many things can go wrong between when I applied and when I may possibly potentially maybe receive money.

As I keep saying, I do not want higher pay, I just want more hours.

When our boss announced that the state was approving teletherapy I asked for teleclients. He responded:
Quote:

This is only temporary until things return back to normalcy and then in person session will resume.
Today he told me:
Quote:

We are actually exploring providing teletherapy for clients in more remote areas like Safford and Show Low/Payson with therapists down here in the Valley.
I asked if I could work with remote clients and reminded him that I asked about it just over a month ago.

Oh! He responded!

He just repeated himself and asked if any of my clients would benefit.

My clients already have a therapist!

oil pan 4 04-20-2020 09:37 PM

I lucked out the people who rent my houses are pensioners and VA disability so my money keeps coming in.

Ecky 04-21-2020 09:00 AM

I bought $40 in stainless hardware for 2nd Insight, gives me something to do.

The rest of it is going in the bank - we get 3% interest from our credit union on the first $25,000. We may move money beyond that into stocks, but only after the market has definitely hit bottom and is on its way back up.

Piotrsko 04-21-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecky (Post 622116)
We may move money beyond that into stocks, but only after the market has definitely hit bottom and is on its way back up.

Good luck timing that.

Ecky 04-21-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 622120)
Good luck timing that.

Very little timing involved. Just wait a couple of years until it hasn't been going down for a long time. Maybe I'll miss the first 30% of increase, but that's fine.

aerohead 04-24-2020 01:49 PM

$
 
Haven't seen a penny.If I do,it will go into savings,towards an electric car.

Ecky 04-24-2020 02:51 PM

The last week or so we've had around $8,000 in socialism bucks come in.

freebeard 04-24-2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead
Haven't seen a penny.

Same. Except I'd pay down the 1990 XFi that I don't have parking space for. If they revive cash for clunkers, I might off the diesel Dasher (if they'd let me keep the wheels :().

Xist 04-24-2020 03:24 PM

I have filed taxes every year since 2000. My bank account information was definitely in my 2018 and 2019 taxes. I have checked my bank accounts and irs.gov/eip at least once a day.

They opened that website nine days ago. Arguably we should be impressed that it works at all with so little time to set it up.

Today it told me that they needed my bank information, so I gave them my Navy Federal savings account numbers for that sweet sweet 0.25% interest, but my introductory 0% APR expires 6/4.

I owe $4,803 in taxes, have $7,000 on my credit card, will receive that $1,200 check, and will have $8,747.54 available in Navy Federal savings once the Zelle goes through.

I needed to give Navy Federal my Gmail and Google Voice numbers to set it up. Navy Federal says that it will take four days. Bank of America would have charged $3 to send $1,000 in three business days, which is more than I would earn in interest in a year.

I should be accruing about $2 a month in interest when my introductory APR runs out, but I may only owe about $600 on my credit card more than I have in my savings account.

My checking account isn't doing great, but I am going to see if I can put together the money to pay it off instead of transferring it or starting to pay interest.

oil pan 4 04-24-2020 03:50 PM

Yeah remember the "Obama care website"?
It supposedly cost over 2 billion dollars according to bloomberg and it didn't work at all when it first came on line.
I guess this administration hired competent comptrollers.

Ecky 04-24-2020 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 622356)
I have filed taxes every year since 2000. My bank account information was definitely in my 2018 and 2019 taxes. I have checked my bank accounts and irs.gov/eip at least once a day.

They opened that website nine days ago. Arguably we should be impressed that it works at all with so little time to set it up.

Today it told me that they needed my bank information, so I gave them my Navy Federal savings account numbers for that sweet sweet 0.25% interest, but my introductory 0% APR expires 6/4.

I owe $4,803 in taxes, have $7,000 on my credit card, will receive that $1,200 check, and will have $8,747.54 available in Navy Federal savings once the Zelle goes through.

I needed to give Navy Federal my Gmail and Google Voice numbers to set it up. Navy Federal says that it will take four days. Bank of America would have charged $3 to send $1,000 in three business days, which is more than I would earn in interest in a year.

I should be accruing about $2 a month in interest when my introductory APR runs out, but I may only owe about $600 on my credit card more than I have in my savings account.

My checking account isn't doing great, but I am going to see if I can put together the money to pay it off instead of transferring it or starting to pay interest.

My local credit union gives me 3% on my money and has no fees on anything.

:turtle:

Xist 04-24-2020 04:12 PM

Is that savings, checking, MMA, or what?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com