Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

HCH1 IMA battery voltage reading & reconditioning

I'm trying to diagnose IMA issue(s) on my 2004 HCH. I've had the dreaded IMA light on for some time now along with codes 1600 and 1570. The problem is compounded by the fact that the car is overdue for emissions inspection which it won't pass with the check engine/IMA lights on. The Honda dealer wanted $4k to replace the pack and also told me that the 12v battery needed replaced.

So my first question is what voltage should I read from the orange lugged terminals coming off of the battery pack with the switch on?

After reconditioning the pack I'm only reading 76V using my digital multi-meter set on 200 DCV. It seems like that is about half of what I should be reading.

This battery pack is only 2 years old, it was replaced by the Honda dealer 2 years ago under warranty. I've read that what they give you is a reconditioned pack but I'm not sure that is actually true.

I cycled through all 20 sticks in the pack and the numbers looked pretty good. I used 3 SkyRC IMAX B6 chargers. All sticks in the pack were reading about 5300-5700 mAh discharge and about 7800-8100 mAh charge. Because of that I only did 1 discharge/charge cycle before topping off the charge of all sticks and reassembling the pack.

After re-installing the pack I cleared the codes using a scan tool and also tried battery disconnect, but immediately when starting the car the IMA battery comes on. And when driving there are no indicators for charging or assist. It is throwing codes 1600, 1445, and 1570. The red 12V battery light generally comes on below 1k RPM. I have charged the 12V battery also, but not sure if it is actually due to be replaced or is just being drawn down by the weak IMA pack (or both).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I hooked up some alligator clips to the voltmeter and connected them again to the IMA battery terminals. I now see the voltage approximately as follows:

~ 85V @ idle
~ 90V cruising at 40mph @ ~ 2k RPM
~ 160V @ 2.5k RPM
~170V @ 3k RPM

Do those numbers seem normal?

Reply  Post New Thread