Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
You have to love the old fashioned button on the dash in my 99 Maxima. Kill the compressor and just let the high pressure push the air through the heater core. If that still costs you mileage block off some of the radiator.

Plenty of free waste heat.

regards
Mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ecomodder

Cobalt XFE - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)

'05 Malibu V6 Tow Vehicle/Track Car - '05 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6
90 day: 23.12 mpg (US)

'08 XFE average for 2013 - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)
Already running a 60% grill block.
May put some time aside to look into this.

2012 mpg
Old 11-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 42.77 mpg (US)
I leave my heater blower speed on position 1 most all winter, at which speed it draws about 40 watts. That's not enough power draw to measureably affect my MPG. That blower speed is good down to about 0 deg F.

Occasionally, in mild weather, I can shut the blower off and let ram air do its thing.

I pull the AC compressor fuse whenever I don't need AC to allow me to use defrost without running the AC.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Its not the heater causing the drop, or the electrical load. Its the cold air thats going into your engine, its alot more dense so the ecm has to add more fuel to maintain the proper air/fuel mixture. The way to get around this is to preheat the incoming air to around 100*. The trick is to get the ducting off the the exhaust manifold & feed it to the air filter.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Yeah, for the sake of Pete People.....Have you all taken leave of your senses???

I mean, if you were to drive off a cliff and your windshield wipers were on, would you assume the flapping of the wipers was making you fall to the ground?

You lose a crap load of MPG's when the temperature drops for many reasons, heater load is a very small part of the cause. Check out this old thread for good stuff.

MetroMPG's list of reasons why your winter mileage is so bad

Heater indeed....no more talk of this!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3AkAzOiD View Post
Going into work today I had the heater on and was getting far worse mpg then I was several days ago.
Temps had droped from being in the 60's and 70's to being in the 30's and 40's with a cold front that moved in causing my super awesome tank average of 58 mpg to plummet.

On my trip to work I have several flat stretches so I held the car at 45 mph to get a level mpg reading and then turn on the heat and my mpg would drop by 2 (4% loss).

Even though I did this test 20 times (16 of 20 lost 2 mpg, 4 of 20 lost 1 mpg) I know it's far from being a scientific set of A-B-A tests.

Frostbite is not sexy so I'll still be using the heater, I was just wondering if anyone else noticed lost fuel economy due to turning on their heater.
Seems like some did not read the original post, or does winter strike the instant he turns on the heater .

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Ryland (11-21-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The higher your mileage, the greater (worse, actually) the effects of your auxiliaries. Your fan, your headlights, they all consume fuel (via the added engine power to drive the alternator harder to produce the extra amps) at a fairly steady rate (when they're on).

My headlights burn roughly a sixth of a horsepower's worth of electricity, I'd guess it's a quarter horse when alternator efficiency and mechanical losses (belt slip and flex) are included...it could be more, but a quarter horse at the crankshaft costs me 2 to 2-1/2 ounces of fuel per hour. At cruise MAX burns about 60 ounces an hour (and gets about 100 mpg) so turning on my headlights knocks me down about 4%, or 4 mpg. So yeah, if you're getting better than 50 mpg normally, turning on your heater fan is going to cost you a mpg or two.

Now if I'm driving my 20 mpg van at 60 mph, I'm burning 3 x 128 fluid ounces of fuel an hour, so its headlights are roughly 1/2% of its fuel consumption, roughly 1/10 of an mpg. Barely detectable. But in MAX, if I'm going 55 with the lights off I get better than 100 mpg and with the lights on, worse than 100 mpg.

The more you improve your mileage, the more you'll notice the little powersuckers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackMcCornack For This Useful Post:
mnmarcus (11-21-2011), tinduck (11-21-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoBus Driver

EcoBus - '09 VW Multivan SL TDI 103 KW
90 day: 42.1 mpg (US)
This is so true, but very rarely mentioned or talked about.

The better your mpg gets, the more traps lurk in the shadowy areas of your commute - or they just hurt more when they get you.

Examples:

- hills you barely noticed before hypermyling look like the Alps when looking at the SG

- drivers forcing you to brake and re-accelerate get promoted from 'idiots' to major felons

- slight headwinds make you grind your teeth

and so on...

Sorry for the OT - could not resist

tinduck
Old 11-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I consider hills as an opportunity to store energy with less fuel. I live at the edge of the Piedmont area of eastern Virginia. East of my home the grades are very slight, not enough to maintain speed coasting. West of my home they become more significant allowing coasting at speeds as high as 65 MPH.

Climbing grades of this type allows higher BSFC operation and the increase in altitude allows the vehicle to become a storage device. On the shallow grades to the east climbing the grade makes a small difference in instantaneous mileage, while coasting down the grades allows the energy stored in the mass of the vehicle to be utilized for astounding moments of mileage. The averages obtained in my CVT Insight, using this knowledge made it possible to average mileages of close to 80 MPG on my local favorite route. The thing that caused me to "grind my teeth" was poorly timed traffic lights. I always considered timing the lights as the most important factor in my average mileage.

When I was lucky I could miss 42 of 44 lights, and almost reach the magic 80 MPG number. I would get 83 on the inward leg of the trip of 20 miles, but invariably the return trip from sea level to an elevation of 75 feet would reduce my average to just below 80 for 40 miles. When you get to this level of mileage, ANY electrical load, of ANY type was directly attributable to lower mileage. It boils down to energy accounting to the most precise degree.

While many might consider electrical accessories as insignificant, when you get close to 80 MPG average over literally hundreds of trips down the exact same route, you will find that even the radio has a cost, as well as every other load, however insignificant, of which the cumulative effects can become very significant, to the tune of several MPG combined. Adding the AC made 65 MPG the reality.

On exactly the same route on my Honda CBR250R motorcycle, my average is 84 MPG, which makes the Insight mileage that much more significant. Of course on the bike the effort required is only a fraction of that required when driving the Insight, which demanded absolute concentration. Average speed on this route, depending on the lights caught was always between 37-39 MPH, not crawling at 22 MPG, the route would not allow lower speeds or you would catch almost every one of 44 lights.

Maybe OT, but the OP might find a way to mitigate his mileage loss through finding what is the real source of the loss. If the AC compressor is working, then it would be the primary cause. After that the blower motor. Fresh air, warmed through unaided flow (not blower) would be the least cost, energy wise, and thus the least consumer of fuel. My cars stay in my garage when no in use, so that gives me the advantage of never having to scrape ice or wait for the defroster to work. They also are about 50 degrees when started on even the coldest winter days. The pait on my 13 year old Maxima still looks like new, with no sum damage to the interior.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 11-21-2011 at 10:16 AM..
Old 11-23-2011, 05:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Try to run the car without using the heater until the engine is up to operating temperature.

Reply  Post New Thread