Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2022, 10:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks! The Gen2 hatchbacks were only a little more rare than the sedan versions, but my manual transmission requirements did add to the rarity. I really enjoy just how useful the hatchback is while keeping the car small overall.

I dont have a Scangauge etc yet, I have just been tracking MPG through my stock gauge cluster. With that I normally get about 37mpg when I am commuting to work regularly (its about 40% surface roads, 60% expressway). That is with me still going 75mph often, some small amounts of 80mph. When I keep the speeds to 70mph and stay consistent, I get right about 40mpg. When I took it on a 1000 mile road trip a couple years ago I and kept the speed under 70mph I averaged about 45mpg, this is including driving into Chicago, and a few drive-thru's. So I know if I really focus on my techniques I can get a solid improvement. The wrench in all of this (I know, adding variables) is that I have been running E85 (well about 60% actually) the last few months, which is nice for power, but obviously bad for FE. From a cost perspective though, since gas prices jumped so much, the E85 has actually been cheap enough to more than offset the increased consumption. I have been seeing around 31 MPG with E85 but that was with some heavy throttle occasionally.

Good thought on the battery, though I would think they are expensive? Do you have any specific recommendations?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread