Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
on2
EcoModding Lurker

Newb here from Atlanta

Greetings Earthlings!

I am from Atlanta, GA. I've always enjoyed fast cars and modifying them to make them even faster. I had a 240SX with a Trans-Am LS1 and a Nissan 350Z.

I recently purchased a 2013 Honda Accord Sport CVT rated at 26/35, 29 combined MPG. The CVT is rated better than the 6MT however the Sport trim takes a 1 MPG drop probably due to the larger and heavier 18" wheels along with the wider 235 section tires as opposed to the available 205 of the LX trim or 215 of the EX or EX-L trim levels.

This is my first car with a fuel economy gauge and it also has green ECO coaching bars to let you know if you are getting good fuel economy. It also has a ECON button to optimize the vehicle for better fuel economy.

With these features I have a new-found enjoyment in trying to achieve the greatest mileage I can out of my Accord. I get a thrill out of driving in this modest manner as much as I do driving it fast.

So far I've been about to achieve 512 miles on 16 gallons (tank is 17.2 gallons), therefore a best of 32 MPG on a 25/75 mix of CTY/HWY driving.

Applying the hypermiling tips found on this website...On my current tank, it looks like I will finish near 550 miles on 16 gallons which is about 34 MPG.

I plan on the following modifications to achieve better mileage...

1.) Scan Gauge II
2.) Upper and Lower grill block using black poly carbonate
3.) Lightweight 18" wheels (factory wheels/tires are 55lbs!), not going with 17" because the difference in weight between 18" and 17" tires is not enough or maybe even zilch. Might even go with 19" since the combination can still be significantly lighter than the factory 30lb beasts. Could save 17lbs per corner, 68lbs total!
4.) Underdrive pulley whenever it becomes available
5.) Complete undertray
6.) 2014 Accord Plug-In Hybrid aluminum hood (other models have heavy steel hoods with a less aerodynamic shape) or maybe a carbon fiber hood when it becomes available
7.) clear poly carbonate wheel covers
8.) rear diffuser
9.) Big brake kit with 2-piece lightweight rotors and calipers when it becomes available
10.) intake, maybe? the factory seems to be well designed for low end torque.
11.) coilovers to lower vehicle 10-15mm
12.) Odyssey lightweight dry battery
13.) and last but not least the driver mod!

The best part of this car is that I can blast around if I want to and use the paddle shifters. It's so much fun.

Please let me know what you think. I'd like to hear some feedback.

Thanks!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by on2 View Post

The best part of this car is that I can blast around if I want to and use the paddle shifters. It's so much fun.

Thanks!
Hi,
Welcome, and welcome to the inverse of the high performance equation. Hi-po makes a car do as much as it possibly can. Hypermiling makes a car do what it usually does with the least amount possible. It's a different kind of high performance.

If you're any kind of a driver at all, you can beat the EPA numbers without breaking a sweat. Welcome to the new thought process.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
In steady state cruise on the highway, the CVT might be as good as the MT, and rated under those conditions might give a similar result FE wise. BUT, the MT shines on any downhill section, and intown will SMOKE the CVT in FE!

You should have bought the MT!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
on2
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarvey View Post
In steady state cruise on the highway, the CVT might be as good as the MT, and rated under those conditions might give a similar result FE wise. BUT, the MT shines on any downhill section, and intown will SMOKE the CVT in FE!

You should have bought the MT!
I got the CVT because my last car (350Z) was a 6MT and I got tired of driving it daily in Atlanta traffic.

How does the MT beat the CVT on downhills and in the city? Just curious, I'm still learning all of this.

The Accord Sport has paddles shifts that allow me to shift the CVT manually (7 virtual gears).

I feel like the CVT does a good job of keeping the revs low, but I have little experience.

Reply  Post New Thread