Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2015, 02:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello,

I'm on here reading about EV conversions. I live in a small city driving 99 percent of the time under 70kph I own a vary fuel efficient Subaru Justy, i get around by bicycling and I'm looking at advice and forklift parts for an EV conversion. I'm in Camosun college in Victoria upgrading for trades (sheet metal or electrical) I live on Vancouver island BC. I'm a student with some garage space and a beer budget. I've got to do every thing on the cheep or patently, so yeah any ideas let me know.

google the 89 2wd 999cc northamerican justy

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-20-2015, 06:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
I'm not into EV conversions, but I must confess sometimes I get kinda curious about it. Anyway, even if you're going to use a forklift truck, nothing may prevent you to upgrade the setup with batteries more suitable for a road-going vehicle in order to save weight (or just improve its balance) and interior volume or to increase the range, depending on your priorities. Anyway, if I were going to convert a front-wheel drive car without ABS brakes I would probably get a direct-driven setup without a gearbox in order to save weight and eliminate friction losses, wouldn't even care about a differential.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Anyway, if I were going to convert a front-wheel drive car without ABS brakes I would probably get a direct-driven setup without a gearbox in order to save weight and eliminate friction losses, wouldn't even care about a differential.
DAnk, as for the diff, I would need some thing because of independent suspension in the rear end and I'm sure I'll stumble upon a justy 4wd rear end.
I'll dump the back seats and clear out a space for the forklift motor under the floor pan near the middle of the car with the propshaft and rear end of a 4wd justy. (cars got ground clearance)

but yes on super simple, it's a simple car. Why complicate some thing nice like that.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
So you'd rather have it RWD. Then having a differential makes more sense.

Reply  Post New Thread