Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2023, 03:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Caly - '19 Toyota Calya G
Hello from Indonesia

Hello, I own a 2019 Toyota Calya 1.2G A/T.
I was pretty much satisfied with the current fuel consumption but after learning about hypermiling I got curious and want to push this car to the limit (relatively speaking).

My current driving style relative to my routes fuel consumption are:
- City, A/C on: 11 km/l
- Highway, AC on: 16 km/l
- Highway, more aggressive driving and higher average speed, AC on: 14 km/l

Also here's a pic of my fuel economy after cruising on the highway at night where there is no traffic and the average speed is about 100 km/h with no A/C and two partially opened windows:

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-29-2023, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
I didn't even remember what is a Toyota Calya, as it seems to have few export markets. Interesting that it's FWD, while most minivans of its size class made in countries such as Indonesia tended to be RWD. Even when GM tried the FWD Chevrolet Spin in Thailand and Indonesia, it failed there.
Old 12-29-2023, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I didn't even remember what is a Toyota Calya, as it seems to have few export markets. Interesting that it's FWD, while most minivans of its size class made in countries such as Indonesia tended to be RWD. Even when GM tried the FWD Chevrolet Spin in Thailand and Indonesia, it failed there.
It is like Daihatsu Sigra, its twin, is exclusive to Indonesia, but they use 3NR-VE which could be found in Toyota Agra/Daihatsu Ayla and Toyota Vios/Yaris Ativ which are SEA and Taiwan exclusive.

Yea the problem isn't about FWD or RWD, there are severals FWD MPVs when GM brought Spin, like Suzuki Ertiga, Kia Carens, Honda Freed and Mobilio, and Nissan Livina. To make things worse Indonesians seems to have some prejudice that American cars are hard to fix, expensive to maintain, have bad fuel economy, and looks ugly, and ended up with much lower resale value, which is a very important to us.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_omicron View Post
To make things worse Indonesians seems to have some prejudice that American cars are hard to fix
There were times when a Chevy seemed to be quite dumbproof...

Quote:
expensive to maintain, have bad fuel economy
Sure some American cars had an awful fuel consumption, yet some 4-cyl American engines such as Chevrolet's 153 were not so bad at all. Problem is mostly gearing. Recently I had a talk with a guy who owns a late-'70s Chevrolet Opala Caravan, and he told me it only has a bad fuel consumption on highway, seemingly due to the lack of an overdrive...

Quote:
and looks ugly
Chevrolets for instance, became uglier once they started to have more Chinese influence to their design.

Quote:
and ended up with much lower resale value, which is a very important to us
I know what you mean...
Old 01-04-2024, 02:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Sure some American cars had an awful fuel consumption, yet some 4-cyl American engines such as Chevrolet's 153 were not so bad at all. Problem is mostly gearing. Recently I had a talk with a guy who owns a late-'70s Chevrolet Opala Caravan, and he told me it only has a bad fuel consumption on highway, seemingly due to the lack of an overdrive...
not to mention that we didn't have much highway back then, (relatively) big engine + bad gearing in mostly stop and go or less than 60 kmh traffic? abominable fuel consumption. This cemented deeply into the image of American cars. I used to have 1997 4.0 Jeep Cherokee and I got 4 km/l fuel consumption in the city it was atrocious.

Quote:
Chevrolets for instance, became uglier once they started to have more Chinese influence to their design.
I noticed they became uglier since they acquired Daewoo Motors.
Old 01-13-2024, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Great info - welcome

Welcome! Watch out for cool posts on trucks and trailers.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_omicron View Post
I noticed they became uglier since they acquired Daewoo Motors.
I guess you know the Wuling Almaz is available in some places as Chevrolet Captiva. Odd enough, it doesn't look so ugly at all.

Reply  Post New Thread