Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hello new to ecomodding

Hi

I am new to ecomodding and somewhat new to hypermiling. I own 2 Hondas (a 1985 Honda CRX si and a 1989 honda civic HB). Grateful for this site as it really has become an obsession! Was hoping someone could direct me to a thread or get input on a comparison of when to simply coast in neutral versus shutting the engine off and coasting. I have heard that the start up of the engine consumes more fuel than simply coasting in neutral and let the VTEC do its thing. The question is about the threshold point ie: if I am in a rolling hilly area and only able to coast maybe 1/2 a mile is it more efficient to simply leave the engine on or shut off). I realize this is somewaht ambiguous and a myriad of factors but, really looking for general guidelines or where this topic has been discussed. I think its obvious that if I am able to coast down a gentle grade for 10-20 miles it is more efficient to shut off. Really just looking for that threshold point. Hopefully I was clear on what I am asking.

T.I.A. 70flyingv

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hypermiling rookie

Opel Corsa B - '96 Opel Corsa 1.2 8V
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)

VW Bora 1.6 16V - '02 Volkswagen Bora/Jetta
90 day: 35.84 mpg (US)
well , first of all, Welcome !

Here's some topics to have a look at:

Coasting experiment: engine off VS. engine idling - MetroMPG.com

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...not-11613.html

Both your cars are manual, right ? ( a little silly, i know , but I had to ask )

"It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste" Henry Ford
Old 07-27-2010, 01:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Eoc

Thanks for the links...Yes both of the hondas are manual. I jsut kindof assumed that hypermiling wouldn't work on an automatic without potentially really messing up the tranny. Would love to with my Isuzu Diesel box van if I thought I could get away with it. On a side note I actually spent the day converting the box van into a flatbed. So we will see what a difference that makes in fuel economy.

Thanks 70flyingv
Old 07-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
I normally always shut off my engine unless I'm going up a hill and know it'll be a very short time until I need to turn it back on again.

Hypermiling is really just a general term. It means is to consistently get above EPA rated mileage for your vehicle. How you achieve that is up to you. Its easily doable in an automatic. What you are referring to is the pulse and glide technique.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the additional reply in regards to the automatic. So is it safe to shift into neutral when I am heading downhill in my automatic diesel box van (now a flatbed)? I have heard that it can damage the transmission but, this may not be true? On a side note I just filled the honda civic and averaged 47 M.P.G. Woo Hoo!

TIA

Reply  Post New Thread