EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   HELP! Check engine light - Loss of power (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/help-check-engine-light-loss-power-5653.html)

bennelson 10-21-2008 04:16 PM

HELP! Check engine light - Loss of power

My check engine light has been coming on in my '95 4-cylinder Chevy S10.

I believe this truck is PRE-OBD2, as I was never able to get the Scangauge to work with it. (Supposedly, it works on the 6-cylinder '95s!)

How do I get the "check engine light" code from the truck?

I have heard there is a way to jumper two of the pins in the diagnostic connection so that the check engine light flashes a certain number of times, and you get the error code that way.

How do I do this? Which pins do I jump? What else do I need to know?

Thanks in advance!

-Ben

bennelson 10-21-2008 05:43 PM

Grrrr

I think my truck has a OBDII-style plug, but uses OBD1 computer and info.

After reading through my Haynes repair manual, and checking out an S10 forum, I have come to the following conclusion:

The '93 and earlier have an ALDL connection. The 94 & 95 have the OBDII style connection, but don't actually HAVE OBDII, and the '96 and newer have OBDII.

It appears that the only way that I can read the Check Engine Light code is with a special reader that will do both ODB & OBDII. The local auto parts store's readers don't do that.

Grrr. - Very frustrating.

2000mc 10-21-2008 07:56 PM

obdII connector means its obdII as far as a scan tool, or jumping pins to flash codes is concerned. its not actually obdII in the sense that some of the '96 requirements may not have been met yet.

HObart 10-21-2008 10:02 PM

Autozone

So........My radio tells me that they can scan for codes ( no charge ) and be more than happy to sell you the part that you need..........Never been there and don't know for sure......

bennelson 10-21-2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000mc (Post 68582)
obdII connector means its obdII as far as a scan tool, or jumping pins to flash codes is concerned. its not actually obdII in the sense that some of the '96 requirements may not have been met yet.

Nope.

Scanguage doesn't work with it. Autozone's trouble-scanner doesn't work with it. It's an odd-ball!

2000mc 10-21-2008 11:30 PM

does the scan tool power up? if not is your cig lighter also inop?

bennelson 10-21-2008 11:33 PM

Scantools just try to communicate with the computer and never can.

My cig lighter works fine.

2000mc 10-21-2008 11:38 PM

tried with a tech2 yet? i'd try to find a dealership thats willing to read codes for ya, ours does that much for free, if a tech2 wont communicate, then theres a dlc/ communications issue you'll have to fix first

3dplane 10-21-2008 11:40 PM

Ben!
Same question: when you say the scanner does not work,does it not even power up or just does not read?
OBD 2 carries its own power supply(orange wire behind plug) OBD 1 needs the scanner powered.
OBD 1 plug is square,OBD 2 plug is (trapezoid kind of) but yes the oddball year will have the new plug but actually OBD 1. At the dealership it is tech 1 for the old one and tech 2 for the new stuff. I don't think it's flashable.
Barna

2000mc 10-21-2008 11:55 PM

btw, i used to own a 94 olds 88. it had a OBDII style connector, worked with a tech2, and not a tech1, used OBDII codes, not manufacturer codes(OBDI style). however i dont recall if i ever had it hooked up to a generic scantool to know if that worked or not.