Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smile Hi!

Hi every body! My name is John and I'm just getting started in ecomodding. I like the concept of maximum efficiency so this should be fun!
I live in Spring Hill Florida. I drive a '94 mustang convertible with a v6 and an auto tranny. I also have a miata that I've been planning to convert to electric when I get some spare time.
For my first step, I fixed a leaking gas tank filler neck gasket on the mustang. I could only fill the tank half way and was dumping gas every time I went around a corner. NOT GOOD FOR FUEL ECONOMY!!!
I plan on getting a scanguage soon as well as making some aero and mechanical mods. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-05-2009, 02:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Schwartzejetta - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
90 day: 52.87 mpg (US)
I forget the years between all the mustang generations, so you might have a different fit, but this might be worthwhile to persue:

streeter's mustang belly pan Mod

The Scanguage is a useful tool -- since right foot input from the driver tends to be the biggest source of gains. It'll let you know when you're being miserly and when you're being wasteful.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wow! That belly pan looks cool! I think I'll have to try that out. I was looking at the underside of the mustang, and the side skirts seem to wrap under and form a partial center belly pan as it is. With the front done as in the link, I will only have to figure out how to smooth the back section. Thanks ChrstphrR!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Schwartzejetta - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
90 day: 52.87 mpg (US)
Skeeter gets the credit for what he did, not me...

My car comes stock with a belly pan / undertray, but mine was uh... deleted by a 16 mile "drive" through a mud road that I took a wrong turn on... my first day I had the car.

I've tried replacing parts of the original with coroplast (plastic cardboard, like what they use for election signs), but back in the summer, a roadkill porcupine or raccoon tore it off. And just this sunday, one of my corners I'd made to fill in ahead of the wheel/fenderwell was taken out by A SMALL BAG OF GARBAGE some moron left out on the highway. *Grumble*

Long story short, coroplast is good for temporary means, but if you have any qualms about how sturdy your belly pan should be: check with skeeter on how he made his tray.

Polycarbonate / Lexan is much more resistant to impacts, and he may have used more than just zip-ties that I used on mine so far.

And I envy that you won't have to lay down in the snow to work on your car like I do, until mid-may!
Old 01-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sally - '94 Ford Mustang
Team Ford
90 day: 12.63 mpg (US)

Rexxy - '90 Honda CRX Si
Team Honda
90 day: 32.84 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRK5150 View Post
I fixed a leaking gas tank filler neck gasket on the mustang. I could only fill the tank half way and was dumping gas every time I went around a corner.

I replaced my filler neck gasket recently also on my 94 Mustang. Tried doing it without dropping the tank and wound up pinching my arm big time. Got the gasket changed without dropping the tank but boy did my arm bruise and swell up the next day. I have no clue how long mine was rotting out since I used to deliver pizzas and I would only put $10 or so dollars a day into the tank. I probably went 2 years without seeing a full tank of gas so who knows how long it was bad.