Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Event Horizon - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 31.66 mpg (US)
Hi, I'm New and Determined. All: "Hi, New and Determined..."

Hello. I've been lurking here since July and just now am writing my first post. I have a million ideas and this won't be a fast or cheap project. I am not modding my car for the monetary benefits, and I doubt that they will pay off any day soon. I am here as a buffer (one of a million). The consumer as a whole is fickle and won't just go out and buy a 70mpg car if it is ugly or powerless. This is where I come in. If you read my Planned Ecomods you will see that it is ridiculous and extensive. I'm okay with that because I just bought this car and know that I will drive it until it falls apart.

Simply, I'm going to try to keep my car looking good while coercing every drop of fuel I can out of it. My first line of business is to buy a Scangauge II because as of today I have officially finished replacing everything on the car that put it back up to factory specs.

A lot of my ideas are variations of others' projects, but I believe mine are improvements (no offense, you guys do great work). I will post before each mod and get feedback to make sure I have thought everything through.

Because I am in college I don't have a lot of money or time except during the summer; therefore, I'll be fairly quiet except with minor mods (if that).

Thanks for reading this. As you will see from my info-page, my entries tend to be kind of long winded but I'm sure they will shorten.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by OnlytheEnergy; 09-15-2009 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: Forgot to mention my car's nickname.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Sure, I've got some thoughts. First, welcome. Second, driving style costs you nothing and saves you lots. The ScanGauge will help with that.

You need to prioritize your list of mods. Sort them into mods that are currently way beyond your skills and budget, things that you might be able to do next summer, and mods you can do in a weekend right now. Then jump right in and do a few easy mods (like a grille block and synthetic oil) right now. You'll be glad you did.

You're right that tinted windows == less A/C, more comfort. Beaded seat covers work similarly. You could also paint the roof and maybe the doors white like an FJ Cruiser's roof.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Event Horizon - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 31.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Sure, I've got some thoughts. First, welcome. Second, driving style costs you nothing and saves you lots. The ScanGauge will help with that.

You need to prioritize your list of mods. Sort them into mods that are currently way beyond your skills and budget, things that you might be able to do next summer, and mods you can do in a weekend right now. Then jump right in and do a few easy mods (like a grille block and synthetic oil) right now. You'll be glad you did.

You're right that tinted windows == less A/C, more comfort.
My thoughts exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
You could also paint the roof and maybe the doors white like an FJ Cruiser's roof.
Now that's a cool idea I didn't think of! Thanks.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlytheEnergy View Post
My thoughts exactly!

Now that's a cool idea I didn't think of! Thanks.
Or youu could put solar cells on the roof to help with an alternator delete

Welcome to ecomodder

Reply  Post New Thread