Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

toad - '84 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60 G
90 day: 9.84 mpg (US)
Hi From Oz

New to the forum, been reading for a couple of months decided I should join.

I was going to say I had project impossible, but I don't think I am bad off as maxfrontalarea.

I normally ride a yamaha FJ1100, on which I get about 33USmpg. The bike isn't an ecomodder project just yet, there is still a bit of basic maintenance and tuning to do.

I also maintain a Toyota FJ60 landcruiser. In which I currently get about 10USmpg. (Oh I'm putting USmpg to keep things clear in my head. My dad works on the UK imperial gallon)

My ultimate aim is to get to 23USmpg which is 10 litres per 100km in our measure (don't ask, I dunno either)

So the landcruiser is a 1984 with a 4litre inline 6 cyclinder engine which is based on a design brough out by GM in the 30's (Or so I'm lead to beleive). Needless to say I think there will be a lot of gains to be made once I have the need to crack open the engine.
Current state, has 31x10.5" tyres. I try and keep the tyres inflated such that there is an even pressure across the tread, but I am gradually increasing it bit by bit.
It runs on LPG so right away supposedly I have a 30% disadvantage as LPG releases 30% less energy by mass in combustion.
Been serviced and have been advancing the spark gradually until I hear pinging to set the timing, I have it approx 2 degrees more advanced than factory, which sounds about right as the flame front in the cylinder burns slightly slower then petrol.
I have removed the spotlights, passenger side mirror. I am in the process of removing the bullbar to replace with the std bumper and also trying hard wiring a small solar panel after a bit of testing.
I have been playing around with shift points, when using 3k revs as a shift point my mpg dropped to 9 so i am dropping back to 2-2.5k revs.
One issue is that it's not often that I bother to fill the tank so I don't often take the measurement.
The first major works I'm planning is a belly pan. There is a lot of dirty airflow under there, and with the height of the truck, I'm not going to block much with an airdam.
Great forum, looking forward to the journey.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site. What do you use the landcruiser for?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

toad - '84 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60 G
90 day: 9.84 mpg (US)
The economy readings are taken in daily driving conditions. Other than that it's used:
if I need to transport 6 people
if i need to lay the back seats down to move large qty's of stuff
offroading/camping/fishing
trips to the drive-ins with the family.
any time i need to take the kids somewhere and the mrs camry is not available.

Normally I use my bike which is much cheaper to run. At the moment the bike is in the shed, I'm synching the carbs and setting the mixtures with a home made manometer and a colourtune.

Reply  Post New Thread