Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
mikehallbackhoe

honda crx - '84 honda crx 1300
90 day: 55.83 mpg (US)
1 window down vs 2 windows down

going down the freeway at 65 mph with both winfows down in a crx. noticed stuff trying to fly around in the back. rolled up drivers window and left passenger window down, and stuff settled right down. has anyone done a comparison check on mpg . 1 window versus 2? I wonder if it is like a pickup bed, where the tailgate up gives better mpg due to the air pressure in the bed. had the vents on , but when my wife finally rolled up her window, that was when I started feeling air from the vents.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Last Saturday I drove 150 miles to Chantilly Va. to a show, then the exact same route back home. It was cooler in the morning, about 65 degrees and as high as 84 on the trip back. On the return trip we rode with the front windows down to avoid using the AC. My brother had the passengers window all the way down and there was some buffeting so I rolled the drivers window down a couple of inches and the buffeting stopped.

The difference in mileage was .4 MPG between the two trips with the first leg at 47.5 and the return at 47.3 indicated without a reset of the readings. Traffic coming back was considerably heavier than going there and that could have been the cause of the change or at least a major factor because I managed to time the lights better after we got off the Interstate than I did coming back on the same route.

Final consumption calculation was right at 45.5 MPG, right at 2 MPG lower than the factory instrumentation.

regards
Mech
Old 04-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Last Saturday I drove 150 miles to Chantilly Va. to a show, then the exact same route back home. It was cooler in the morning, about 65 degrees and as high as 84 on the trip back. On the return trip we rode with the front windows down to avoid using the AC. My brother had the passengers window all the way down and there was some buffeting so I rolled the drivers window down a couple of inches and the buffeting stopped.

The difference in mileage was .4 MPG between the two trips with the first leg at 47.5 and the return at 47.3 indicated without a reset of the readings. Traffic coming back was considerably heavier than going there and that could have been the cause of the change or at least a major factor because I managed to time the lights better after we got off the Interstate than I did coming back on the same route.

Final consumption calculation was right at 45.5 MPG, right at 2 MPG lower than the factory instrumentation.

regards
Mech
That sounds typical. It's a trade off - but you're probably better off having the windows up and the A/C on at highway speeds. At lower speeds, it probably doesn't matter as the A/C saps engine power and the aero effects are less.

Me, I drive a convertible in summer, and I don't mind losing 1-2 MPG of FE for the fun of having the top down.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
you're probably better off having the windows up and the A/C on at highway speeds.
It all depends. The wikipedia entry on the relevant 2005 mythbusters re-test of this idea concluded that:

Quote:
Going less than 50mph it is more efficient to leave the windows down, but going greater than 50mph it is more efficient to use the A/C.
So yes. But there are other options than just windows all the way down or all the way up. I like my method best: I crack the windows just 1"-3" and sometimes also run the fan on lowest vent. I kick my shoes off.

With a small motor like a CRX 1300 or my 1.6, the AC definitely has an FE effect.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread