EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Hit by a deer (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hit-deer-2140.html)

homeworkhome53 05-03-2008 12:56 PM

Hit by a deer

I thought that slowing down would have other benefits besides impro..ved FE. I assumed (bad assumption) that slowing down would make the drive to work safer from a deer/car impact point of veiw, and intruth I didn't hit a deer. The deer hit me. I could hit a deer when I was driving a 1996 Cutlass Supreme, no I had to wait until I was driving a new car. He only did $1685.00 worth of damage. Should I factor that into my new downsized vehicle expenses. Oh, well, I'm sure it day was worse than mine.

homeworkhome53

Lazarus 05-03-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homeworkhome53 (Post 23146)
I thought that slowing down would have other benefits besides impro..ved FE. I assumed (bad assumption) that slowing down would make the drive to work safer from a deer/car impact point of veiw, and intruth I didn't hit a deer. The deer hit me. I could hit a deer when I was driving a 1996 Cutlass Supreme, no I had to wait until I was driving a new car. He only did $1685.00 worth of damage. Should I factor that into my new downsized vehicle expenses. Oh, well, I'm sure it day was worse than mine.

homeworkhome53

Wow sorry to hear that. Did you at least get to keep the venison? Help defer some of the cost.:) Glad you are ok.

Arminius 05-03-2008 04:02 PM

Sorry to hear that. I lost a van to a large deer 5 years ago.

tasdrouille 05-03-2008 04:48 PM

It happened to me to a couple years back. Jumped right in the driver's door. Left a pretty big bump on the door and fur on the side moldings. Anyway, you were lucky, had it jumped a fraction sooner it would have done a lot more dammage.

homeworkhome53 05-03-2008 09:08 PM

"Wow sorry to hear that. Did you at least get to keep the venison? Help defer some of the cost. Glad you are ok."

No, he was down when I got out of the car, but as I was looking the damage over he got up, one leg hanging loose and hobbeled into the woods, coyote bait, it's all national forest. That's the 3rd in 12 years. I was doing 47mph and thought at that speed I would have been able avoid them, wrong.

homeworkhome53

diesel_john 05-03-2008 09:20 PM

They can hear the VW a mile away. So far in 270K, nock on wood no deer.
But I have hit two with the vette, first broke the driver's mirror and went over the top, the second broke the passenger headlight and went over the top. Good aerodynamics also shedds the deer.

DifferentPointofView 05-04-2008 12:40 AM

I've been seeing a lot of deer lately, saw one on the roadside tonite, and was glad it didn't decide to cross.

My friend had a close call in his geo metro convertible the other day. He was driving back home and he saw a whole bunch of deer running across the road. He didn't have time to stop, so he turned to the left at just the right time on accident and went in-between two of them. He was doing 55-60, he said he slowed down to about 45 after that and was watching very closely to the windshield for deer. They really need to make deer barriers or something.

BBsGarage 05-06-2008 01:40 PM

Thats funny, we actually saw a deer this past weekend with only three legs.

It was missing a front one and just barely hobbled across the road.

So do you think it walked from Michigan to NJ? ;)

homeworkhome53 05-06-2008 09:15 PM

I'd say this one only got as far as the first pack of coyotes, which around here would be less than a mile. Insurance approved the repair so it should be fixed soon.

homeworkhome53

DifferentPointofView 05-06-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Thats funny, we actually saw a deer this past weekend with only three legs.
How in the world did a deer Not die from bleed out in the wild... and still survive long enough to heal and not get eaten by coyotes? must be one lucky deer! Reminds me of what a friend said about seeing a 3 legged dog trying to pee lifting his leg on the side with the missing leg!