EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Honda Hybrid Vs. Toyota Hybrid (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/honda-hybrid-vs-toyota-hybrid-25673.html)

broski499 04-28-2013 01:28 AM

Honda Hybrid Vs. Toyota Hybrid

Hello MPG lovers, I have a question.

So my Camry LE 4 banger is approaching 200,000 miles so I'm starting to browse the market for my next vehicle. I will 100% be buying used and really like the idea of a used hybrid. What are your thoughts on honda hybrids. From the research I have done they are not as efficient as the toyota's. While the toyota can electric motor can power the car at low speeds with the engine off, the honda cannot. How much of a difference does this make in real world driving. What are your thoughts on reliability and whatnot. Thanks in advance.

I have about 5,000 to spend.

jakobnev 04-28-2013 04:22 AM

What kind of driving do you do?

Cobb 04-28-2013 10:06 AM

You just want to own a hybrid??? Toy and Honda make many different configurations. Is the tradational 5 door hatch back gonna do it? Would you rather get anotehr camry and have the better fuel economy? You like to have a riced out civic and hybridness at the same time? What about an SUV or even sports car? Highlander/Lexus?

If you can make due with a 2 seated and 100+ mpg then go with an insight. :thumbup:

jamesqf 04-28-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broski499 (Post 368558)
While the toyota can electric motor can power the car at low speeds with the engine off, the honda cannot. How much of a difference does this make in real world driving.

Unless you have a plug-in (which you are unlikely to find in your price range), about as much difference as the tailfins on '60s American cars made to their aerodynamic stability :-)

Other than that, I much prefer the Honda. You can get them with manual transmission (I won't drive an automatic), they have normal key start, better gauges, etc. And of course the Insight is a 2-seater, which I like.

sendler 04-28-2013 01:58 PM

$5,000 won't buy much with any life left in it. You would be better off to put that money down on a Fiesta or a Spark.

ECOHondaOdyssey 04-28-2013 04:07 PM

A friend just needed to replace the battery on his 09 civic hybrid. This problem is not uncommon.

Xist 04-28-2013 05:19 PM

Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the 1996-2005 Civic HX is the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid gas compact. If I am mistaken, I doubt that the exception would be in your price range, but you would have a difficult time finding one with fewer than 100,000 miles.

It certainly would not be right for everybody, depending on the years, it is probably smaller than the Camry, and I really like having four doors, but I think that it is a great car.

vskid3 04-28-2013 11:35 PM

The only hybrids you might be able to find for under $5000 are 1st gen Insights, 1st gen Prius's and Civic hybrids.
I personally prefer the Toyota/Ford system with the eCTV because of the engine off driving/coasting. A manual Honda could do engine off coasting, but I don't think the CVTs can do engine off coasting. I seem to get the best results in my Escape by accelerating with gas and then cruising/coasting in electric.

Cobb 04-29-2013 10:38 AM

Basically a hybrid allows those who lack eco modding skills to get better fuel economy and in some states use the hov lane. If you got any skills with mods and driving you could get more bang for your buck with any non hybrid car.

rmay635703 04-29-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobb (Post 368693)
Basically a hybrid allows those who lack eco modding skills to get better fuel economy and in some states use the hov lane. If you got any skills with mods and driving you could get more bang for your buck with any non hybrid car.

My $1800 Insight beats the Non-hybrid cobalt any day of the week.

ECO driving skills can't beat a highly efficient design.