Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
performance with economy

I tried to reply but my reply contained a link to a vizard article on fuel/chamber temps, so I got a "you can't post links until you have 5 posts" message.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
performance with economy

I now have 3 posts up, this will be 4, so one more post and I should be able to post the link!
Old 09-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
performance with economy

post no. 5
Old 09-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
performance with economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
My computer is what I use to contact others on the Internet. Not needed in my car.
Even with indirect injection and a boxy body it runs at 50 mpg plus. I have felt that colder air containing more O2 would be more economical than less O2 although cold weather has a myriad of other issues with less air pressure in tires, More electricity needed, thicker lubricants and denser air. Have also read that an intercooler can increase mpg by cooling the intake charge. I have had several turbo cars both gas and diesel but never ran any back to back testing.

I run fuel that is labeled 20% biodiesel and regulated by the federal government. I am not about to put anything bogus that will reduce the life of my engine or car. It has made it nearly 3o years at close to 10,000 miles a year so the VW engineers and designers obviously know something about making an efficient running vehicle.
I should explain my reasoning here, read this david vizard article (2 pages)on fuel Dyno's Don't Lie Article - MotorTech Magazine and consider that diesel fuel consists of more of the heavier fractions of the distillation process, which is fine if in-chamber temps are sufficient to vaporise the fuel and burn it, but often the compressed air at injection (and thereafter) doesn't have enough heat (or turbulence) to allow a complete burn. This is easy to see on a very cold morning, I have followed an 07 Isuzu 3 litre t.d. on a -3C. morning and the normally smoke free vehicle bellowed out white smoke for the first couple of kilometres, while my vehicle (Isuzu 4jg2 t.d. -mechanical injection) took a good 4 k's before there was no visible smoke while accelerating. Basically any smoke (white/blue/black) is incomplete combustion and therefore wasted fuel.(you probably already know this) Maybe the answer is to change the air intake according to ambient temps. This is what I do, I run 2 pipes of equal length from my airbox (both tuned for the Helmholtz effect), one sucks fresh air from a forward facing snorkel, the other sucks underbonnet air (which is pressurized above atmospheric) and is also heated, this works well in winter, but when summer gets here the underbonnet intake pipe will be repositioned to suck cold air from a high pressure area in front of the radiator. According to Gale Banks when you suck air from the high pressure area at the front of the vehicle you do 2 things, one is the high pressure air allows your engine to breathe easier (less pumping loss), and 2 you decrease the air mass that the vehicle has to push through, which effectively decreases the frontal area of the vehicle.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,563 Times in 2,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
What about direct injected gas motors? Would cold air intake be better for the same reasons?
Does the cycle start off with an isobaric expansion process?
If yes, then no.

Reply  Post New Thread