Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
OldertechGuy

Scott'sTxVx - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 48.7 mpg (US)
Leanburn - More NOx vs higher MPG

It's well documented that the Leanburn of the Honda VX produces higher NOx. I'm having very very slight buyers' remorse thinking my recent VX acquisition may be making more acid rain, etc. BUT, I'm wondering..... if the big picture is taking in, and the improved MPG/NOx equation factored out, is the carbon footprint of this 50mpg car no larger than a car you would buy today that only gets 32mpg on the highway (like my '07 Cobalt)?

Scott

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
oldertech -

As long as your VX is in compliance with the emissions regulations it was built for, then you're ethically clean. I don't think you are in lean-burn all the time either. Also, an old car is arguably a "recycled car", so to speak.

Without knowing for sure, I think most newer compact cars are going to have better emissions, simply because of tightening standards.

I keep getting mixed up when it comes to emissions and MPG. Is the emissions restriction based on the EPA MPG of the car, or the displacement of the engine, or ???? For example :

Question: Does a Honda V6 Accord and Civic Coupe from the same year have to meet the same emissions? In this case, two different displacements.

Question: Does a Honda Civic Coupe and a Honda Civic SI Coupe from the same year have to meet the same emissions? In this case, same displacement with different HP.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 05-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I too have wondered this as well ( If a Tier II car that gets 45-50 MPG produces the same amount of emissions overall as a SU-LEV car that gets 25-30 MPG ).
It seems like it would balance out, but then I begin to think of how mopeds for example have horrible emissions despite giving great MPG.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that our old Civics are real pollution monsters.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
As far as carbon foot print goes. A 50mpg car will always have a lower carbon foot print than a 49mpg car.

Now if you want to try and weight differing emissions as a trade off for low carbon emissions that comes down to a matter opinion.

If it meets emissions you nothing to feel guilty about unless you ditch the EGR or put a WAI/HAI on your car.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Something you can do to further reduce NOx, SOx emissions is inject a small amount of water.

This is what large diesels do. I'm no expert I'll say that now.

The idea is it keeps the combustion event slightly cooler and the vaporized water immediately bonds with the acid rain elements and drops them on the ground. All the way around it reduces NOx and SOx, but it replaces some of the rain part for a water drip onto the pavement. That said the amount of fluid and its acidity won't be high enough for it to make it into the drainage system on the side of the road(unless its raining then its so diminished its negligible).

It may prevent your VX from entering lean burn mode though, so you'll have to ask one of those fellows.

As someone else stated it only enters Lean burn mode some of the time(when conditions are just right for cruising on low power).
Old 05-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I agree with Un a water vapor injector vacuum powered is a good way to reduce NOx and knock which only happens when 50%+ power is needed. Many racer use water/alcohol units to make their 2k-4khp motors survive for a 1/4 mile. WW2 and aircraft racers use it too.
You can always have it tested, even buy your own tester as they are not that expensive. Then you can tune it out at a slight mileage decrease of a couple mpg if you want.

Reply  Post New Thread