EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   How Low Can You Go? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-low-can-you-go-20669.html)

Ladogaboy 02-23-2012 10:07 PM

How Low Can You Go?

I'm putting this here, though it might be more appropriate in the Aerodynamics Section (???).

The question is, what would be the minimum ground clearance for a street-driven car?

I did some measuring the other day, and my car currently measures ~ 7" from factory side skirt/front air dam to ground. I'm planning to put together custom side skirts and a front air dam that would extend farther down, but I want to maintain a basic amount of ground clearance. Also, IF I decide to get springs/coilovers, the ride height would drop an additional ~ 1.5" overall.

Anyway, I'm just looking for a consensus of opinion on the minimum clearance I need. Here in the city, there can be somewhat steep parking garage inclines, but otherwise, it's mostly flat, paved road.

drmiller100 02-23-2012 11:35 PM

4.5 inches for stuff you don't want destroyed is about minimum.

Coincidentally, a Pepsi can works very good as a measuring tool.

Very thin UHMW makes a good front skirt which can hang lower to keep air out from under the car.

Sven7 02-24-2012 12:31 AM

My Rabbit's oil pan is 4" off the ground (coilovers) and I've had no real issue. But it's got insane approach/departure angles. The Probe's air dam hung down about the same amount (before I changed it) and would scrape quite regularly, especially when driving straight up ramps.

My advice: buy the coilovers, lower the thing 2" or more. Get a larger air dam (and a few spares). You can get away with a lot if you learn to drive up and down ramps at an angle for more clearance.

Go on YouTube for videos of lowered cars driving around and you'll see some of the stuff you might encounter. For the dedicated it's a challenge. For the casual it's a hindrance. Under 3 or 4 inches you start getting into trouble, and less than that, you are either insanely dedicated or on air ride.

Ladogaboy 02-24-2012 01:25 AM

With the undercarriage/pan, I think I have about 8" of clearance right now. I'm really just looking to extend the side skirts and front dam.

The coilovers sound nice, but I'll have to be saving up for those (~ $2,000 for the ones I'd want).

The UHMW sounds like a very interesting option. It's cheap enough that I might be willing to get a section and start fooling around with it.

Frank Lee 02-24-2012 02:00 AM

It's pointless to go too low because I've read from several sources (Hucho, aerohead, etc.) that IIRC 5" or so is optimal.

Ladogaboy 02-24-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 288869)
It's pointless to go too low because I've read from several sources (Hucho, aerohead, etc.) that IIRC 5" or so is optimal.

Interesting. So no gains after 5", or is it diminishing returns? I find that to be an intriguing number since (just with coilovers or lowering springs), I'd be at ~ 5".

drmiller100 02-24-2012 09:45 AM

I've read from NUMEROUS sources lower is better, as long as you have rake to the car.

The less air under the car, the better.

darcane 02-24-2012 11:27 AM

My old '94 Vette had 5.25". Stock.

kach22i 02-24-2012 11:46 AM

If no belly pan, then go as low as you can.

Just my two cents.

When I see a race car or speed record holder holding it to 5 inches, maybe I'll be swayed.

jamesqf 02-24-2012 11:58 AM

Already answered question: Look up the word "lowrider".