Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Why No Electric Schwimmwagen

A plastic composite shell with flotation foam blocks built in should weigh less than the steel original.

[www.schwimmwagen.co.uk/page-restoration.html[/I]

Like an Igloo cooler. And Bigelow's space hotel technology suggests inflatable hubcaps are possible. These are the subframes that need to be electrified.

http://www.schwimmwagen.co.uk/page-restoration.html

One could fake that front end with a Type I beam and Rabbit axles. Are those 3D printers that make whole car bodies available on the intertoobs? Would this sell better?

goautobots.blogspot.com/2011/07/vw-schwimmwagen-see-in-google-earth.html

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-17-2021, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Man! Now you got me thinking!

Cool concept! I remember reading about the Schwimmwagens before.

It definitely reads Type 1 all over it.

I remember somewhere on The Samba about 4X4 aircooled VW's and conversions. Looks like there are still 4X4 Synchro transmissions for sale. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...php?id=2348215
Old 04-17-2021, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I like the hydrojet and Manx-style top.

Those parts belong in a museum. I'd work with what I have. A Mileage Motor-style stroker 1776 and the Lexus SUV axle installed in the front frame head. It could be completed with a GM Assist altermotor.

You can get a printable 3D model for $20.00: hes.3dexport.com/3dmodel-volkswagen-schwimmwagen-1942-printable-303066.htm

Old 04-18-2021, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Since it's meant for serious off-roading, I'd much rather rely on a hybrid setup instead of full-EV.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Because you commented in the thread, I decided to check the dimensions of the Lexus drive axle. It's 16" overall and 11" from the axle line to the rear mount. The framehead in the Beetle is 11".

So I'm thinking a Superbeetle/Rabbit macPherson strut would work better. It fits better with the monocoque tub anyway.The altermotor (the part I don't have) could be supplemented with solar panels.

Reposted from another thread. Give it a squareback roofline and it's long enough for a pop-top camper.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Fibercraft still builds Manx(?) bodies on order. I think the McPherson bug front end is useless, everything else is possible using off the shelf parts.tesla motors are water resistant..... how's the 3D printer purchase going?
Old 04-19-2021, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fibercraft and other make copies. https://meyersmanx.com/current-buggy-kits/is the real deal. They currently have five models.
CURRENT BUGGY KITS
NEW CLASSIC MANX
KICK-OUT TRADITIONAL
KICK-OUT SS
DUALSPORT
MANXTER 2+2
Bruce Meyers has passed. The company is in new hands www.classicdriver.com/en/article/cars/meyers-manx-returns-fixing-your-mojo-good
Quote:
...the reborn marque's brand director Richard Gauntlett – well known to many Classic Driver readers, the son of famous Aston Martin CEO Victor Gauntlett and the man behind the Aston Martin Bulldog restoration project...

"I'm part of a small team that acquired the Meyers Manx business in November last year, shortly before the sad passing in February of the car's creator, Bruce Meyers. He was 94. A key member of that team is our CEO and CCO Freeman Thomas who, as many readers will know, began his career at Porsche and was the designer behind cars such as the original Audi TT and, of course, the 'new' VW Beetle. He also recently shaped Ruf’s new CTR and SCR. Freeman grew up in Southern California during the 1960s and 70s, so he offers a unique mix of vision, VW heritage, incredible design sensitivity and deep experience of the very culture into which the Manx was born."
So their new designer did the Audi TT and New Beetle. Fun fact: The front fenders are flat on top because Bruce Meyers felt it was important to have a place to put your beer once at your destination.

I don't recall mentioning a 3D printer [citation needed], but if you were stalking me you'd know it's been delivered in Federal Way, WA; and my son will drive down with it next weekend.

The model at Permalink 3 could be scaled up to 1:1 with a sufficiently large printer.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
You dont recall the thread where you asked about the feed mechanism choice?

Hmmm. Odd delivery mechanism for packages.

Stalking would imply an interest instead of merely observation/speculation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Piotrsko For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 11:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That does sound like something I said. He's willing to deal with Amazon and we haven't seen each other in a year plus.

The Ender 3 Max has metal extruder gear, Meanwell power supply and silent stepper firmware.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Piotrsko (04-21-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 09:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
So I'm thinking a Superbeetle/Rabbit macPherson strut would work better. It fits better with the monocoque tub anyway.The altermotor (the part I don't have) could be supplemented with solar panels.
This would be awesome.

Reply  Post New Thread