Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Please review my Craigslist ad

I have not seen many Foresters for sale, but they always have far more miles than my car, and I think that the lowest asking price that I have seen was $3,500.

I have actually waxed my car and cleaned it further since I took these pictures. You can see where I sanded the touch-up paint that I used on the scratches on my door. I sprayed clear coat this morning and it looks far better--but the touch up paint was always the wrong color! Curse you color-matching! You had one job! Why can't you match color?!

https://post.craigslist.org/k/VJ_BZK...36Zu?s=preview

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
you need to post a link to the ad, not your account.
sorry, reread the title.
edit, again.
looks good to me.
like: lots of pics.
daytime pics.
lots of info.
you got it all.
The Following User Says Thank You to deejaaa For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-13-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Growin a stash

The drops of oil or whatever under it don't look amazing. Pretty good otherwise, though. Congrats on getting rid of a car soon.

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
The Following User Says Thank You to ME_Andy For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 01:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Not Doug

Deejaa, I had wanted to take pictures earlier, but I washed the car, and water kept dripping down from the roof rack, plus I would find water spots, or something else that needed to be polished off with a towel.

Andy, that was water dripping after washing the car.

I also posted this on Facebook and a friend suggested removing the part about the sports and utility. My sister just wants me to say that it is a vehicle:
"Great car in good condition, well maintained. Timing belt replaced at 105K. Drives well, cold ac. Less than 124,000 miles."

As an ecomodder, I do not see any reason to purchase this car over a sedan with a manual transmission.

I definitely need to include replacing the head gasket. Anyone that knows Subarus should ask.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
I had a 1996 Subaru Legacy with the 2.2L engine, and the head gasket lasted until someone rear-ended me at 230,000 miles. My understanding is all Subaru 2.5L engines have the head gasket problem. There were many memories made in my Subaru, and I too had a difficult time parting with it. I kept it until it was totaled out; even drove it 4 months after the accident while I argued with insurance to get $2,500 out of it instead of their initial offer to pay just $1000. The 5-speed manual allowed me to get 28 MPG average. Looks like you are very close to that in the Forester.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-14-2015, 07:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
You asked so here goes.

1. I would never buy any car the PO used to pull stumps, having pulled a few myself, I used an excavator.
2. Lights off, they affect photo quality.
3. Not sure how much time you spent on the interior but there are a lot of stains in both the seats and carpets, at least in the pictures provided. Brown stain on the transmission tunnel carpet especially. Simple green and a scrub brush followed by an old towel.
4. A little tire scrubbing couldn't hurt.
5. What's going on the with the back bumper misalignment?
6. Head gasket is a typical Subaru issue with the 2.5 engine, provide documentation at least for the parts.
7. 2002 with 142k for sale locally for $2800, price seems high for that age (16 years old).
When I sell a car, I'll spend at least a whole day detailing and prepping it for sale. Wife complains that every car I sell is to nice, but they sell quickly.

regards
mech
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
darcane (09-14-2015), digital rules (09-15-2015), Xist (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
You asked so here goes.

1. I would never buy any car the PO used to pull stumps, having pulled a few myself, I used an excavator.
X10

It's ok to say it has tons of room and you only needed to make 2 trips to move everything you own. It's ok to say it handles ice/snow very well when you have gone skiing. It's NOT ok to say you have used it to pull stumps out of the ground and off roading might scare people too.

There is being honest about the car and then there is too much information. You aren't being dishonest, just changing your delivery. Lots of people I talk to say "I want them to know everything so they feel better buying it" but all they are doing is devaluing their car. Many cars have been used outside of their intended purpose and people assume that when buying a used car. As long as the stump didn't cause the trans or differentials to blow; the car survived the project and no one needs to know it ever happened as it didn't cause any problems.

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"

The Following User Says Thank You to spacemanspif For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not Doug

Mom asked me to help her with something and she paid to replace my clutch, so I posted in her town's Craigslist, just writing "Great well-maintained car in good condition. Timing belt replaced at 105K and head gasket at 122,000. Drives well and has cold AC." and I have only had one response so far, which was not much

1. Heh. They were actually small stumps. I pulled a much bigger one in my Civic--I parked it and used a winch! That is a good point, though, and I will not mention it.
2. Thanks. I think that I just wanted to show that they worked, but I wish that I had been able to take pictures an hour earlier. I will try to take more soon, although I slept horribly last night, and am struggling to stay awake.
3. I am not sure about the transmission tunnel carpet, I did not notice anything until I saw the picture. I had Picassa adjust the colors and brightness. The front floormats were terrible, I posted a picture in Og's thread. I think that coolant leaked onto one of the rear mats when I had the radiator back there, but I was able to get out most of the stain. There were various others, probably just from putting car parts back there, and they seem to come off pretty well with just a damp towel. I think the dark spots in the pictures were mostly just water from being scrubbed, but I will keep working on it as I have time.
4. Somehow I completely missed the driver's rear tire when I washed the car, so I went back with a spray bottle and brush, although I could not tell if it was clean, because it was wet. I think that I will park on Mom's lawn and hose the tires. That has to be good for the grass, right? Perhaps I will connect two hoses...
5. I will look at the bumper. I had not noticed anything. There is a trunk mat, which might throw off its appearance.
6. I can print off my receipt.
7. I plan on negotiating down.

I spent a long time picking out garbage and scrubbing the floor mats, as well as individual spots. There is an oil stain under the driver's floor mat, which I scrubbed until the carpet started coming out. I vacuumed it, took it to a car wash, vacuumed it again, washed it thoroughly again, and spent a long time with a towel, before waxing.

Then it rained.

It frustrates me, I fixed every mechanical issue that several mechanics pointed out and that I found myself, but I do not know why the windshield washer reservoir leaks. One technician suggested that the pumps could be faulty. I covered the holes with my thumbs and it held water. I plugged the holes one in a time with my thumbs and the pumps held water. The gaskets looked good and the mechanic agreed. Not knowing what else to do, I put gasket sealer on it. I let it dry for twelve hours and it seemed to hold water, but when I returned, it had peed all over.

I am up here to help Mom. I feel like she needs more help that I can provide with short visits, but after all of the time and money that I spent fixing my Forester, I am trying to draw a line. I need to keep it clean to sell, but aside from whatever responses that I may receive from the ad, and trying to start my new job, I am going to spend as much time as I can helping Mom.

Everyone, thank you very much for your feedback!

Reply  Post New Thread