Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Knight - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 58.53 mpg (US)
fuel cut off question

For the people that have fuel cut off switches. Do you engine break when stopping? Here is my plan in my head after i get the fuel and alt switches put in. I would put clutch in, hit the fuel cut off to kill the engine and EOC. Then get closer to my stopping point back into gear. Turn on the Alt again and then hold my fuel cut off button. In my head this will Engine break without starting it back up and give me some regen. then just let go of the button to fire it back off.

please discuss pro's and cons.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
It can be done. I think a few people have done it so when the brake pedal is pressed, the alternator turns on. IMO its cool, but its not going to net you that much extra range from the alternator delete.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Knight - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 58.53 mpg (US)
I was more questioning engine breaking with the injectors off. If any pros or cons with that. turning the alternator back on was one of those "why not" type things. One day I will learn to get things from my head into type easier.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtrain View Post
For the people that have fuel cut off switches. Do you engine break when stopping? Here is my plan in my head after i get the fuel and alt switches put in. I would put clutch in, hit the fuel cut off to kill the engine and EOC. Then get closer to my stopping point back into gear. Turn on the Alt again and then hold my fuel cut off button. In my head this will Engine break without starting it back up and give me some regen. then just let go of the button to fire it back off.

please discuss pro's and cons.

sounds pretty complicated.

Tap into the brake switch. When the brakes are on, power to the ecu is off and power to the alternator is on.

optionally, put a microswitch on the throttle - if at idle, engine off and alternator on. then when you are coasting up to a stop sign the injectors will be off but the alternator will be charging.

alternators are often 100 amp now. a little bit of 100 amp charging will really extend your range on your 12 volt battery.

Reply  Post New Thread