Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hwy cruiser - '04 Hyundai Elantra VE
90 day: 34.83 mpg (US)

0to60in5mins - '04 Subaru Outback H6 Anniversary Edition
Question Has anyone tested the "Vortec Cyclone"?

Hi guys.

I found this product in the google ads here and I was just wondering if anyone's actually properly tested it/found results.
I haven't seen it listed as a planned mod/current mod in anyones garage/car notes so I'm guessing it's probably not worth my time..

The Vortec Cylone:

"dubdubdub dot vortec cyclone fuel saver dot com" (no spaces).
(I can't post links until I've made 5 posts - Grrr... But at least it helps prevent spammers I suppose...)

Just like everything else it claims to save gas and boost horsepower.

I've seen so many of these things online and alot of them are just plain bunkum... But I also try not to be negative and a complete skeptic all the time... Though I am sick and tired of being the gullible naive kid who always gets suckered into believing all these claims based on pseudo-science...

It's quite possible that lots of people have already posted about this product but I just haven't been lurking long enough to know it, but if there's any feedback people can give me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time!

Cheers,
Doug

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
The descriptive video does not play for me, but the installation instructions seem to be for something that would be standard equipment if it worked. The manufacturers are not totally stupid or malevolent. Most add-ons work because people drive better to prove that they didn't waste their money. There's also the recommended tune-up at work for most installations.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Right, this is just an engine air intake turbolator, which pretty much won't do anything but lighten your wallet.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
This page contains useful critical examination of the claims for intake-mounted "turbulators", written by an automotive engineer:

Fuel saving gadgets - a professional engineer's view

The key point:

Quote:
Can a "bolt-on" device really increase the turbulence in the cylinder? The simple answer is no - the flow in the intake system is already highly turbulent at part load, with air speed past the throttle in the region of 200-300 metres/second. A device upstream of the throttle may make the air swirl there, but the swirl pattern will be destroyed as the flow squeezes past the throttle blade.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 09-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_Canadian View Post
But I also try not to be ... a complete skeptic all the time...
PS, Doug: skepticism is a good thing!

Nobody here would criticize you for being suspicious or critical of unsupported, pseudoscientific claims.

EcoModder
Old 09-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via MSN to markweatherill
Tornado, Cyclone, those are feeble,I think the next version of this type of device should be called Edgar Allan Poe's Descent into the Maelstrom. And the advert should promise that the device will whip the intake air into a terrifying frenzy that will make your hair white overnight. Or else your money back 100% guarantee!
Old 09-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
oldschool

White2003Focus - '03 Ford Focus SE 4-door sedan
Team Ford
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)

White2001S10pickup - '01 Chevy S10 extended cab LR
Last 3: 24.51 mpg (US)

1989DodgeOMNI - '89 Dodge Omni
Last 3: 30.38 mpg (US)

1991ChevyC1500pickup - '91 Chevy C1500
Last 3: 24.03 mpg (US)

White1986Irocz - '86 Chevy Irocz LB9
Last 3: 30.14 mpg (US)

1999 C5 Corvette - '99 Chevy Corvette

2008 Infinity G37 - '08 Infinity G37
This is a relevant test I performed back in 2005.

Quote:
I had a chance to thoroughly test the "Tornado fuel saver" device on a 2005 Elantra, which is a multiport fuel injected 2.0 liter engine with automatic transmission and cruise control. The car tests very consistantly and gets fairly high mileage already which helps to reveal any change %-wise in fuel economy tests. I was very confident that the testing range of error comes in at under 0.5%

Fuel economy driving at 75 MPH was 33.8 mpg
Fuel economy driving at 60 MPH was 40.8 mpg

Fuel economy testing with the Tornado fuel saver showed a 0.0% change.
*Back-to-back test results within 0.1% were impressive in themselves.

Power testing of the Tornado using a VC2000 accelerometer showed a WOT power decrease of 5%

The Elantra showed 111 HP without the tornado and 105.5 HP with it.

That said, along with my own confidence in my testing methods and equipment, I would not go so far as to say that a "Tornado" device or turbulence generator will not or cannot work on some vehicles and in some situations.

A turbulence device generally increases localized air speed at the sacrifice of decreasing overall air speed. This generally requires more energy to move X-amount of air, and can add a small amount of extra heat energy to the air-charge. Generally, this always reduces the maximum power potential of an engine, assuming that the engine was working well before the addition of the extra turbulence. This condition does not always produce similar results when it comes to vehicle fuel efficiency. Added localized turbulence can have the effect of improving the air/fuel mixing process, and/or change the characteristics of the fuel metering curve of a carburetor. The actual "after" results depend on specific conditions, and the "before" state of tune.

On MPFI engines a turbulence device near the throttle-body can't really affect the fuel mixing in a positive way, though auto manufacturers do use techniques to increase turbulence near and after the intake valve area.

On MPFI engines, a possible benefit of a turbulence device could be either by fooling the calibration of a MAF sensor, or by simply adding enough air-charge restriction that throttle resolution is increased. These effects would tend not to show up during steady-state testing, such as my highway tests above, but could become measurable during transitional type tests, and/or normal daily driving. These two effects could be achieved with simpler modifications, and do not require any sort of "swirling" of the air charge. I have personally measured increases in FE due to altering the MAF calibration by both physical means and by re-calibration. I have also measured FE increases due to an increase in part-throttle resolution.

While I wouldn't personally use a "Tornado" device, I can certainly see where in certain situations it could create conditions that result in a FE improvement.

As for the "professional engineer" at the fuelsaving.info site, I have read through his articles and noticed a few errors on his part, especially when it comes to understanding how combustion efficiency relates to vehicle fuel efficiency. Overall, his site is generally correct, and he seems to mean well, but I don't approve of his assumption that "if he doesn't understand it, then it isn't possible". I also don't like how his presentation would tend to discourage people from trying certain things if they wish to test for themselves. Skepticism is a requirement for scientific progress, but one must be careful that skepticism isn't misused to the point of stifling progress.
Kiwi_Canadian (09-13-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympiadis View Post
As for the "professional engineer" at the fuelsaving.info site, I have read through his articles and noticed a few errors
Have you contacted him? I suspect he'd receive feedback with an open mind. (He invites it somewhere on the site, I seem to recall.)

EcoModder
Old 09-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hwy cruiser - '04 Hyundai Elantra VE
90 day: 34.83 mpg (US)

0to60in5mins - '04 Subaru Outback H6 Anniversary Edition
Thanks everybody for the feedback. I'm learning lots and it helps me to get a better idea of things. I wish I had a more mechanical/technical understanding of the engine and how everything works together. Keep posting. Thanks Again.

I think in certain settings where people perhaps drive more aggressively and transition between different styles of driving frequently it may have a *small* effect and aid HP in a few *particular* vehicles but it would be nice if people were more honest and transparent with their advertising and not just sell to anyone with any type of vehicle. A list should be provided after testing lots of different vehicle types and they should not get everyones' hopes up... But oh well, that's the way people are... Only in it for every last dollar that doesn't belong to them yet...

I might start a thread about the computer chips next. I'm always hearing mixed stories about them but so far the general concensus is that most of them are junk as well... unless done properly and designed specifically...

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
vortec cyclone