Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Will work for food!

I am finishing my third week at the bakery in Gilbert, AZ, and when we started training, Boss said that we would be working ten-hour days. We are closed holidays and Sundays, but all of us were going to work every day that we were open. Then he taught myself and two other guys how to bake bread and Mrs. Boss taught two girls how to make cookies.

I did some work for him to get the bakery ready and he gave me a gift card for the supermarket of my choice. I am able to take as much leftover bread and goodies home as I want, although I am probably one of the better customers, whatever good my employee discount does them.

Ten or twelve of my friends /liked the page on Facebook and three came out to the grand opening, but it seems like we are months from having sales that satisfy me. It is not just that I want fifty hours a week, once I finally started working, it feels more productive than anything else that I do, so I want to work as much as I can, because almost anything else feels like wasting my time. I do not want Boss giving me hours unless I will earn my pay.

I have nineteen pictures of stuff that we bake on my page and one each of the owner and operator and two of my coworkers. I uploaded half of them to the bakery's page, but I do not think that Mrs. Boss knows what to do with them, or that either of them appreciate that advertising leads to sales. Today I put fifty-two loaves of bread and seventy pastries in a trailer to feed:

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-03-2015, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You dont by chance work for the ABC company that was featured on Kitchen Nightmares?

Amy's Baking Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amys Baking Company Kitchen Nightmares
Old 01-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Not Doug

Cobb, no, nothing like that, the only negative feedback that I remember is that our Jalapeņo Cheddar Swirl bread was "too spicy," and Mr. and Mrs. Boss go out of their way to give good customer service.

Today, Boss asked me about delivering bread to grocery stores in Bacon. He mentioned a week or two ago that when he started that he would need to get a truck and driver. I could drive a truck and perhaps he should have bought one in the first place, just to park near the street, with the logo painted on it, surely that would bring at least some customers!

I have hardly put any time or energy into preparing the car to sell, although the friend at whose house the car is currently parked informed me that her mother and two friends each expressed interest in the car.

By the way, if you do a Google search for "Bakery Gilbert, AZ," you will not find us--yet.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Business-operation of a privately-owned vehicle requires ADDITIONAL/DIFFERENT auto insurance...something the pizza-delivery people often find out about "...the hard way..."
Old 01-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Typically YOUR insurance will not cover you if you wreck your vehicle doing something to earn money. Rather its delivering pizza, newspapers or giving people a ride. I thought bacon was held up in litigation with your former room mate?

Anyhoo, if you are comfortable driving Id opt to drive their truck and mention how it does advertising too.

Cant say I ever had a need to visit a bakery. I typically grab a loaf of bread and buns when I go to the grocery store. I hope they and you do well.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Not Doug

Yes, Old Tele-man, I did not have any idea about that until http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post412714

The Forester issue is complicated. My ex claims that I "did not want" to help her get insurance, violated our contract by installing The Club when my insurance "kick" her off, and illegally repossessed the car. However, she is not suing me for the car, but for $2,000, considering the condition in which she left Bacon, is more than it is worth. It is also slightly more than she owes me. I have a communication log going back to when I told her to stop talking to me. I might go back further just to show that I had given her my address and told her to mail a check or money order more than once, but she still insisted on coming over. I have estimates from three mechanics stating that the car needs several repairs and three body shops stating that it would cost $650-$1225 to repair the dent she put in the hatch, then plenty of details like her breaking my Ultragauge. I can easily prove that I have already lost money, I cannot imagine the court official deciding that I owe her 73% more than she paid me.

Boss does not have a delivery truck yet. If Bacon will do the job for a little while, then that is the best use that I have had for it. I have already priced magnetic signs.

What if I deliver as an independent contractor? I like driving, I just do not want it to take away from my baking hours, and then I can deduct my mileage.

I made a sticker asking customers to like us on Facebook. Someone with the right skills and tools could probably crank it out in a few minutes, but it took me hours. We will see if Mrs. Boss allows it.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Im a contract or temp employee. I work for company A, get paid by company A, but do the actual work at company B and follow 90% of their policies and holidays. I live off the bus line unlike some of my coworkers. I see if I have to drive to my place of employment from an office and return to an office before heading home I could deduct mileage and vehicle expenses.

The wrong person over heard me and decided I can commute directly to and from work vs checking in the office twice daily. Lets say working at the bank trained me well about reverse psychology.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not Doug

The bakery has been open for six weeks and a day now. The first day went well, but then it slowed down; business increased, but boss cut back on hours. I worked five days a week, but consistently worked twenty-seven-hour weeks, although I keep having appointments. Nobody else has appointments!

About two weeks ago, some website wrote an article about us. Last Friday, the Arizona Republic printed an article about the bakery and then the East Valley Tribune (the daily circulation is just over 100,000) ran an article. Then Phoenix New Times (circulation 79,000) published an article by a blog called "Chow Bella."

We have been busy!

I worked six days this week and actually had a couple of hours of overtime. I have been trying to think of all of our misadventures. There was one day that we somehow blew a fuse and the iPad running our register stopped working without an Internet connection. Cookie Girl was not able to make anything. We were unable to slice bread. Whenever I tried to look at the fuse box, Boss was already there, with Oven Guy.

It turned out that there were two problems. Neither of them knew what they were doing and Boss was not wearing his glasses. I got the extension cord from my car, found a good outlet, and got the register back on-line.

We have two ovens. One is a double that cooks twelve loaves of bread in each and the other is larger. We put at least five dozen loaves on a wheeled rack and the oven rotates the rack. Both ovens are convection, but each of them had horribly inconsistent heat, so we were always checking and regularly rotating the bread. Both are supposed to have steam capabilities, but it was a while before we were able to use that, which is necessary for making French and other hard-crusted breads. The smaller one, apparently, sprays cold water on a hot fan.

Explosions ensue.

We had our health inspection on Tuesday and did well, but Boss was tied up with that for an hour, and we were extremely busy!

The larger oven was repaired again yesterday and we were amazed all day, it worked perfectly! Just when we seemed to understand how to use the oven, it started raining, and it took longer and longer to bake, even though we continued to increase the temperature. Today we baked at a lower temperature and suddenly everything baked twice as fast! Everything was ready at the same time, too!

It turned out that the oven was installed incorrectly--the fan was wired backwards! It reminded me of Baltothewolf's issue.

I made a sticker that we put by the register, asking people to like us on Facebook. I also made this, even though Boss says that he does not like bumper stickers. I just made it, I do not know if I will actually print any:

Reply  Post New Thread