EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   HP2G in X Prize competition? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hp2g-x-prize-competition-8628.html)

rjacob 06-04-2009 09:01 AM

HP2G in X Prize competition?

Doug Pelmear & HP2G are always such fun topics. He and his website say they are in the xprize competition (from the hp2g webiste: "HP2G accepted as contender on Progressive Insurance Automotive X PRIZE"). But I looked through the list (Teams Home | Progressive Automotive X PRIZE) and don't see them. I looked for HP2G, Pelmear, Revenge, but didn't see anything like that. Am I missing them?

I still see occasional news reports about HP2G going into production of these engines. Has there ever been independent proof that these engines do what he says they do? Wayne Gerdes has driven a Prius from Chicago to New York on a tank of gas. Has Pelmear done ANYTHING other than a few burnouts in his mustang and say he gets 110MPG (or MPGe)?

rjacob 06-05-2009 03:51 PM

Well, got an answer!!! They dropped out of the contest having never been an official entrant. They had submitted a letter of intent, but never got passed that stage. What a joke!

Details can found here:
HP2G acrimoniously drops out of Auto X Prize

PA32R 06-14-2009 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjacob (Post 108211)
Well, got an answer!!! They dropped out of the contest having never been an official entrant. They had submitted a letter of intent, but never got passed that stage. What a joke!

Details can found here:
HP2G acrimoniously drops out of Auto X Prize

I've found him and his HP2g Mustang to be an excellent topic, so much so I posted an article about him on my blog. I emailed his firm and received replies that started out abrupt, turned cordial, and ended with a tacit threat (the email chain is copied in the blog post). I've added a couple of updates based on other tidbits I've found, most interestingly, a CNN reporter doing a piece on the HP2g said that the designers think that with a little tweaking they'll get 500 m.p.g. I find that rather unlikely. :p

I should add that HP2g has a press release about dropping out here and Progressive (the sponsor) responds here.

SVOboy 06-14-2009 12:38 AM

According to the xprize foundation they didnt drop out, they were kicked out.

SVOboy 06-14-2009 12:39 AM

Update: I have delete their garage here several times and they keep adding it. I am just going to ban their user account

PA32R 06-14-2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 109874)
Update: I have delete their garage here several times and they keep adding it. I am just going to ban their user account

Interesting, I didn't notice they had an account there.

SVOboy 06-14-2009 12:43 AM

They started a thread too a while back that got pretty out of hand but I ended up closing it down.

PA32R 06-14-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 109878)
They started a thread too a while back that got pretty out of hand but I ended up closing it down.

In my correspondence with them (which was, IMO, very polite) they wound up giving me my "first/last warning."

SVOboy 06-14-2009 12:53 AM

It isn't like they can actually do anything, :P

Frank Lee 06-14-2009 12:55 AM

i am dumber for having visited their site. :/