Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hybrid conversion

i
is there anyone converting there Prius to EV/PHEV ?? do you know who is doing ??

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
There are a couple here who have done PHEV conversions. The only one documented here as far as I know is mine:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ium-11555.html

The Prius really isn't your best vehicle for an EV platform.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I got the enginer kit for the insight, but they since went out of business at least in the US market.

For the newer insight you need 117 volts and a good 30 amps to maintain ev mode. It wasnt enough for any decent acceleration or up grades.

Many prius owners used 2 converters to get the power needed, however it was still limited.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Enginer isn't out of business AFAIK, but they did change hands. I'm not sure what sort of restructuring is going on.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
PHEV Kit Distributor

PHEV Kit evloutions

Enigners former supplier has now split from Enginer and is continuing to develop and supply kits worldwide. "MD-Tech", China have been working with "Plug-in Autos", Germany to get the kit power increased and make a good BMS. This work was finished in March 2013 for the European release of the PHEV Kit.

Power output has been increased to 20Amps at 225V (4500W) which is enough power for city driving. Videos of city drives have been uploaded to the companies youtube channel, just click on the link a the top of the page plughybrid. de

MD-Tech are currently looking for a distributor in the US. Eric Powers might be doing this after he has tested the new version. You can contact Eric for his latest musings on the venture, EV Powers Hybrid Battery Service & Repair - Williamson - Marquette - Madison, WI

Different cars need different converter outputs MD-Tech can make these to order, but it takes a while for delivery due to shipping by sea.

The new version is stable all the bumps were ironed out before electronic Emissions certification testing.

As far as I am aware the MD-Tech certified kit is the only PHEV kit that can be legally distributed in Europe. Customers are happy with their kits, comments (in German) can be found on the facebook.com PluginAutos page

MD-Tech's list price for the 4kWh kit is $2995 including shipping to your port. You will pay import tax and freight forwarding from the port.

You can place an order for the US through Plug-in Autos, there is no handling fee, we just help with the communication with MD-Tech. The more kits they make the cheaper the prices get for all of us.

99% of MD-Tech's manufacturing is for Solar power converters for their domestic market. They have been in business for 20 years and have a developed a good understanding of Western market requirements, specifications, testing and certification through their relationship with Plug-in Autos, Germany. MD-Tech have their own Engineering development team. They have developed some innovative ideas for the BMS. The 15 Day balancing schedule and 0.002V accuracy are market leaders in Battery Management.

Converter heat issues have been dealt with, the box fans have been removed as they are not needed at ambient air temperatures up to 35°C (95°F). Some fixes/upgrades : 12V relay, temp sensors, BMS accuracy, BMS automated balancing schedule, HVC lowered to 3.5V, LVC raised to 2.75V, Converter output power curve has been raised to provide more power at HEV battery normal charge voltages (237V for Priuses II and III) before current ramps down sharply at 240V. This improves performance after braking and stops.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
@Sushp: Welcome!
Do you have a kit fit for a Gen 2 Insight?

I'd be happy with just 20 Amps at 117 V (2340 Watt); not looking for full EV capability, just bringing down the fuel consumption and aiding acceleration.

I am looking at building my own small portable PHEV kit, but like to save time and prevent errors. Any support on that is more than welcome too

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
PHEV Kit Distributor

Gnen II Insight kit configuration

Yes, 20Amps can be done, Do you know if this box will fit the trunk space under the floor?

I can't post links yet

I sent the links to your email account here. You can post them in this thread.

I am interested to know how much current the Insight Gen II can handle from an external source. Can it handle 30 Amps?

Sush

Reply  Post New Thread